• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini
    replied
    Re: Instructions for a double stack??

thanks - i will check out the site.

Dutch
    You are right - there are more remote areas in NYS than Greenville, but let me tell you, when you need even the most basic of basics, it's a 20-25 min. ride - gets old sometimes - however, it is stunningly beautiful and virtually no crime - believe it not, it's actually safer here than back in Ireland -

We are still stuck on the patio (a mere 1300 sqft), but this gives us the time to thoroughly research the plans - would love any help you can give - a bit out of my range, but giving it a shot anyway.........

mini

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

so that we have room for the second stack at the back
    Having a firebox that deep, or having a long horizontal smoke run immediately off the firebox is not going to be conducive to good draw.

Have you looked at the rumford.com site?

Outdoor Rumfords

They discuss in detail the draw problems of outdoor fireplaces.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Greenville is not really the middle of nowhere...not too far from Albany as I recall and not too far from Catskill...used to teach golf when I lived there and played at Catskill Golf Club...I was from Orange County...not far from Middletown...I can think of other places in NY state that are much more the middle of nowhere than Greenville...let me know if I can help with the layout...I think you should be OK with your slab size...might just have to move the oven opening a little closer to the edge...
    Best
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• mini
    replied

Hi Dutch

We are trying to figure and recalculate - the slab we poured was 77" by 86" deep - not sure if we need to add to the slab so that we have room for the second stack at the back --hoping to build the 42" Pompeii so not sure if we will have enough room.....
    70chevelle has a really neat fireplace/oven combo, but no dimentions were given (that I can find)..... it's very exciting to build this, but want to make sure we get it right the first time

We live in Greenville (aka the middle of nowhere)

Mini

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

The problem is coming up with room for a smoke chamber above your fireplace, without squishing it to nothing. You might have to move your oven entry off to one side to make room for your fireplace vent. You want your fireplace flue to be a direct a path as possible, there are enough problems with smoking outside fireplaces because they don't have the big temperature differential that makes indoor fireplaces draw.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

The venting will just take some creativity...other than that it will work...incidentally...what part of upstate NYer...former NY state resident here...from the Hudson valley
    Best
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• mini
    replied

Hi Guys
    Thanks - the links were great - at least now i know it can be done - would be great to find step-by-step instructions - especially with dimensions - feeling shaky about the venting

We already poured the pad to the patio, so we are limited in terms of changing the face of the fireplace - hot legs it will be or else very long utensils.

Thanks again

Mini

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Mini
    I get you I think the others misunderstood. There probably are not many available plans for something like that. Off the top of my head it might be better if you faced that fireplace out off the back of the oven or even to the side. You would be very uncomfortable with the fire burning right in front of your legs. Also you would then be able to offset the flue for the fireplace and have a chimney off the front for the oven and the back for the fireplace. I'll have to think a bit more about it but a nice arched firebox with insulation could work well. You would still have some storage space because you would not want a firebox as deep as your oven stand.
    It is very doable...maybe I can render something in sketchup
    Best
    Dutch

Originally posted by mini View Post
    I guess I'm not explaining this right...

I am looking to build a pompeii oven on top (reg. wood burning) and to have the underneath also be a regular fireplace and not just a storage spot - so my question is how do I make this work with two chimneys?? Are there any plans available plans for this - and, will it be a problem to have the fireplace burning underneath, while cooking in the oven on top??

Thanks alot

Mini

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Oops, I did misunderstand. We have a whole section on outdoor fireplaces:
    Outdoor Fireplace Design - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community
    In brief, it's possible to combine the two, but having a raging fire at your feet while you are trying to cook is counterproductive. If you do a combo, you can have the two units face different directions, one to a cooking area, and the other to a seating area. They should have separate flues, although they can be combined in one chimney.

Again, good luck with your project. Let us know if we can help.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Here are some white oven threads:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...sign-3251.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...oven-2685.html
    Here's a really good site about the construction of a white oven as part of a masonry heater (way complicated):
    Construction Experience of "White" Upper Chamber Bakeoven Option for Contraflow Heater
    Read the page and follow the links.
    White ovens are pretty far from our core expertise, but we'll help any way we can. Let us know what you decide to do.

Leave a comment:

• mini
    replied

I am looking to build a pompeii oven on top (reg. wood burning) and to have the underneath also be a regular fireplace and not just a storage spot - so my question is how do I make this work with two chimneys?? Are there any plans available plans for this - and, will it be a problem to have the fireplace burning underneath, while cooking in the oven on top??

Thanks alot

Mini

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

I agree with Drake. The normal term for an oven in which the fire is below the oven chamber is a white oven. That search should be universal.

There should be nothing wrong with a white oven EXCEPT that it will tend to be a bit cooler and won't have the radiant heat of the flames coming down ffrom above to caramelize the crust and toppings. And that is a big deal IMO. You will end up with an oven that is a great bread oven and a great baking oven but not as good a pizza oven IMO.

Hope that helps!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• mini
    replied

Tried search of "white oven" - getting lots of recipes for chicken?? Are you being specific to FB site??

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

I think you might be talking about a "white oven" search for that.

Leave a comment:

• mini
    started a topic Instructions for a double stack??

Instructions for a double stack??

Can anyone direct me to instructions on how to build an oven that has a burning hearth rather than just simply using it for storage -

Also, how would burning in the hearth affect the heat in the pizza oven above -

Have searched the site but can't find any reference to a double stack??

So far, the plan is to build the 42" Pompeii enclosed in the Stone house design -

Again, thanks for the great forum

Mini
Working...
X