My Firebricks are crumbling???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Firebricks are crumbling???

Hello, this is my first post but I've been following the forum for some time. I am currently building the Pompeii oven and have made it to putting down the oven floor. My question is about the firebricks I'm using. They are yellow in colour 9"x4.5"x2.5" and about 6.7lbs each. I'm finding that they crumble quite easily and seem very soft. Is this normal?
    Thanks for any help. I'm in Vancouver Canada and have not found anyone who knows the differrence between, High, Low or insulation type firebricks. I've talked everyone but the local crematorium (and they might be next!).

Re: My Firebricks are crumbling???

"They are yellow in colour 9"x4.5"x2.5" and about 6.7lbs each. I'm finding that they crumble quite easily and seem very soft. Is this normal?"

No. The size and weight are right but the firebricks you want do not crumble - they are hard and dense

Here in BC they are also known as "refractory" bricks." You may have better luck if you phone around and ask for "refractory" brick.

Firebricks can mean many different things including the insulating brick that potters use, which you don't want in the inner dome. The crematoriums may not even use refractory firebricks (unless they cook pizza after hours).

Comment

Originally posted by JStanley View Post
      They are yellow in colour 9"x4.5"x2.5"
      This sounds very close to what I used. My brick was soft compared to the decorative brick I used but I wouldn't say they crumbled. Who is the manufacturer?

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

the low duty firebricks i used were softer in the sense that they cut a little easier than red pavers, but they didn't crumble, i was able to cut really sharp edges and thin slips without them breaking apart
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

What do you mean exactly by "crumbly"? Any chance of a picture?

I suppose you could say that the edges of my bricks were a bit crumbly, knock them with a hammer and bits would flake off (and didn't my kids just enjoy that!) but the bricks as a whole were sound. They are certainly softer than regular bricks though.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks to everyone who commented on this. Could just be 1st timer anxiety as I'm about to start the floor and dome and questioning everything. Sounds like I have the right bricks.

Comment

I would describe my firebrick the same way. They cut fine but the edges can be crumbly at times. Mine are mfgr'd by Butler and are dry pressed fire clay refractoy. I would imagine this dry pressing leads to a more granular crumbly brick that the normal extruded and then fired brick.

scott

Comment

Working...
              X