David's Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David's Pompeii

I'm starting this journal a little further along than normal. I have my stand and insulated hearth up. The firebrick hearth has been set with a level amount of vermiculite flush up against the hearth.

This project originally started out under the Alan Scott design, but because I'm concerned with heating times and other structural scenarios, I made the switch to a Pompeii oven.

I wasn't going to journal this process. Perhaps it was because I have become somewhat discouraged at times, leaving no motivation to come back here and write, but after today, I'm a bit more excited than usual.

I laid a dry run of my half-firebrick along the hearth and when I stepped back to have a look, the complete rounded circle with the entryway in place took me back. I suddenly realized, "Wow, that looks like an oven." That's all I thought, it looks like a brick oven. So, I'm excited. In fact, my hands are still dusty from all the cutting this afternoon, but I just had to come here and write about how the simple first course of half-brick sparked me for a positive.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed here. I look forward to coming back and writing about the completed process.
    Journal of My Oven's Progress

Re: David's Pompeii

David,
    Glad to hear you are excited again about your oven. It will only get better. We would love to see some pictures if you can post those also. Feel free to ask with any questions you may have. Congratulations!

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark. Here's a look at the dry run of two rings. I have an idea of how I'm going to run the entryway. I have been browsing Drake's oven process and like how he cut the bricks to fit snug. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Comment

Looking good Dave!

You are going to love this oven.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Dave, I read on your other thread that you have not insulated under the floor. Rather you have insulated under the supporting slab per the Alan Scott design. I think you should stop and add a layer of insulation on top of that support slab...really!

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

all join in unison:

"Insulate! Insulate! Insulate!"
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Unfortunately, I laid my first ring of brick earlier today. It will remain as is. I need to look beyond this now. It's a mistake that I regret but it could be worse. I could have gone with the arched dome with the added concrete, making it even more challenging.

I had a great first ring attempt with my fireclay mortar mix. I just got in from checking it and it seems to be setting nicely.

Comment

I'm a little concerned today about how close my dome is to the right and left sides of my stand. The dome will curve inward so insulating the top won't be a concern, but towards the bottom, where there's not much space, I worry the insulation will run thin. I will be getting the "blanket" to help insulate, so maybe that will cover the space issue.

Comment

In using the wooden shim...I did a dry run of the first angled course and found that if I put the shim in backwards, to where the end of it is holding the back of the brick up, this will allow the interior portion of the brick to run flush with the brick underneath. I imagine it will also be easier to slip out.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea with the shims. And I've been playing with my insulating blanket I bought from Forno Bravo (with gloves on) and it will compress some so I think you'll get SOME insulation the lower course of your dome. Just make sure everywhere else is exceptionally insulated where you can. I really like your floor too. Nice job. Thanks for posting the pics too.

Congratulations on starting the dome. It really is all fun from here. (OK...there may be a little frustration occasionally...but definitely more fun) Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I had a good day yesterday, cutting some brick for the entrway and making the reveal for the door. The next focus will be on whether or not I'll build an arch or simply lay the doorway flat. I'm leaning towards flat because I will be covering the finished firebrick with other brick and stone.

Comment

It's Spring. Our fourth boy being born took me away from my oven progress, but I'm back at it and today was a good day. I'll post some pictures soon.

Comment

This is after two days of work. A lot of progress but I hit a bump when I noticed the peak of the dome was beginning to look tear drop shaped. I am afraid I didn't angle the bricks close to the flue enough. I had to remove them and will make some cuts the next time I work on it.

My wife picked up an exercise ball today so I can finish off the top of the dome. I would love some feedback. After all this work I'm convinced I'm doing it wrong and the whole things is going to collapse. But, I worry like that.

Comment

just a thought you might want a collector area before your flue

trying to get mine figured out also

most builds have a funnel to catch the smoke and direct it up

Comment

I did my first curing fire tonight. Very exciting. It's very tempting to keep the fire going and throw some wood on it...but in time. I was impressed with the draw to the chimney; although, some smoke came through the front opening.

All in all a very exciting evening.

Comment

Working...
                              X