Architect in the House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architect in the House?

My local building department has their hands deep into my project and have thrown a wrench in the works. Here's the deal:

They want a footing 42" deep x 8" wide around the perimeter of the oven foundation. 42" is frost depth. So for those of you who have built your oven base in a frost depth of 42" and didn't dig a trench, is your oven falling down?

If I have an architect take a look at the plans for 5" of crushed rock and 5 1/2" of concrete for the base and have a letter that it's structurally sound, I can get by without the footing.

The other options is to stick four piers 42" down on the corners. Mind you this base is only planned to be 69x 69 with an angle setback at 43" for a corner install.

Any thoughts?
    My Build Thread

Re: Architect in the House?

Well, well. As it turns out the building department has rescinded their requirements for any additional footings for the oven foundation. It seems they have had a spat of outside fireplaces become unsettled due to not enough support in the foundation. This was the case due to the height of the chimney on their fireplaces. The height on my chimney should be between 2-3'.

Anyway, I am back to work.
    My Build Thread

Comment

Re: Architect in the House?

"The other options is to stick four piers 42" down on the corners. "

Use three piers. This is statically determinant.

Comment

Working...
      X