Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Thanks Mike! I did pour it all the way up. I figured it was far enough away from the heat to not have to worry about expansion. So far no problems and I have probably fired it 12-15 times since pouring it. Do you think that will be a problem?
    Scott...
    Smuth's Build
    www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

Scott,

You have built a very attractive oven. I am in the middle of building mine (just finished the dome) and am inspired by yours.

My wife and I really like the cedar siding and feel it would complement our landscaping. Can you tell me how you attached it to the block base and durock framed area? Did you apply any finish to it? How has it held up?

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff. We still use our oven every week and love it.

The cedar is only on the top half of the sides as you can see. I used durock and then screwed 1\2" osb to that so I could nail the shingles on. Adds some thickness to the sides, but I knew I was using stone on the bottom half anyway and would need it to come out some.

No finish needed. That is one of the great things about cedar. You can power wash it every year if you want to keep the original color, but I don't mind the weathered gray. Kinda goes with the color scheme I used anyway. As far as attaching them, it is pretty straight forward. The first row needs to be attached upside down(IE: fat side up) and then the next row (fat side down) completely covers the first row with offset joints. That is pretty much it. As for the roof, I decided to just buy some 1x4 cedar and rip the top at an angle for the ridge, and I should have splurged for the cedar ridge shingles. The 1x is warping and hard to keep sealed.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Scott...
        Scott...
        Smuth's Build
        www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

Working...
        X