Newbee - Narrowing the Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbee - Narrowing the Pompeii

I am a new guy to this hobby but I am a BBQ guy. Live in Central CA- where they grow stuff untill they turn all our water off.

I am making my new grill for pleasure BBQ work and I want to put a wood fired oven on the front. I have the trailer for it and all that is cool. I want to make the pompeii style-because I have been to Pompeii and a Sorento chief friend dared me to. My issue is that I want to nip off 4in from each side. I know the inside will be alittle off but at the end of the day will it still cook? OK?

I can put the barrel style oven on but I really want to make this as hard as possible- if you know what I mean? I also think the parobolic top makes more since.

What do you think?

Re: Newbee - Narrowing the Pompeii

Explain:

I want to nip off 4in from each side
    Left, right, front, back ?

Karl

Comment

Jim made a more oblong pompeii for the Benjamia bakehouse project, I believe. That would be a great thread to read as a starting point.

Is this going to be a mobile oven, though? On a trailer? It's been many years since I took physics, but I think that a perfect dome is more structurally sound than an elliptical one. Mobile ovens have enough trouble with jostling and cracking--most people opt for a prefab cast model under those circumstances. It might be just fine, but you also might run into a lot more trouble than the average build experiences.
      Nikki

Comment

Yes it will be mobil. I am building it on an old Air compressor chassis. I want the opening on the starboard side so looking at the opening I would nip from the outside left and right sides/ edges. Thanks Guys. I looked at the precast but man 2500 bucks seems too much and I have two pallets of fire bricks out of a foundry I bought a few years ago. I just want this for fun.

Comment

Free firebrick is hard to argue with. Since you already have the trailer and the brick, it's not like you'd be investing much in this experiment! I'd talk to the other people building mobile ovens on the forum, maybe a physicist or two about the design (certainly someone with more insight that I can provide!) and go for it.
          Nikki

Comment

Working...
          X