• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerryPizza
    replied
    Re: Perry's Pizza Oven

Originally posted by Roadkyng View Post
    One of the neatest ovens I have seen on this site. The coolest thing is, it looks identical to the ovens that inspired James and company to do this in the first place. Fits right in with the Pompei Oven theme.

Bravo.
    Thank you Roadkyng, though I can't imagine it will be around in a few hundred years like those original ones!! Still gives me immense pleasure every time I fire it - like I'm about to right now!

Leave a comment:

• Roadkyng
    replied

Originally posted by PerryPizza View Post
    Thanks Jamie, I know it isn't in the same league as some of the precision ovens on the forum, but it fits in the surroundings well and, more importantly, it cooks pizzas which is all I ever wanted!
    One of the neatest ovens I have seen on this site. The coolest thing is, it looks identical to the ovens that inspired James and company to do this in the first place. Fits right in with the Pompei Oven theme.

Bravo.

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

From your first picture I wondered how you'd get a oven in there! Congratulations you pulled it off

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Keeping with the rustic/ reclaimed theme, the door was made from an old oak floorboard I found, cut up and screwed together to for a 'plug'

Click image for larger version

Name:	oven_57.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	276803

Name:	oven_60.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	276804

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Awesome!!!

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Cool!

Here's a rough diagram showing the principal, your guide will need to slide and tilt, but I would recommend something slightly more sturdy than the guide I made (I ended up using 3 clamps, and those clamps get right in the way!). I also used shims to help whilst the mortar set.

Hope this helps

Name:	oven_dome_guide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	276693

ps using an adjustable guide like this allows any shape of dome you like
    Last edited by PerryPizza; 09-06-2009, 08:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KINGRIUS
    replied

Yes it does make sense! My radius works out to be 14cm beneath floor. Now that I'm studying your tool closer, I do think I will be able to use this! I especially like it because its made out of materials/tools I already have. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Thank you for the comments Darius, really glad you like it.

You can use a guide if you are able to have an adjustable offset arm - my oven is small and has the lower Neapolitan dome you refer to, the radius of the dome works out 15cm under the oven floor - if you have look carefully at this picture of the life-size drawing of the cross section of the oven you'll see the radial lines I actually used to set the guide arm for each chain of bricks. It's a bit of hassle compared to a centrally fixed guide but it does work... let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try and illustrate it better.

Name:	oven_tool_4.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	276692

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• KINGRIUS
    replied

Perry, I love your oven. Really cool. Thanks for all your documentation. I especially like the pic of you taken from inside the oven. Whoever you got to crawl in the there to take that for you must me a very small person! lol
    I have been tempted to construct a brick guide like you and others have used, but since I have decided to construct a low dome (36" dia., 14" H) mainly for better pizza, it puts my dome radius sub-floor and couldn't use one. Thanks again for sharing your project!
    Almost forgot to mention how I'm going to steal your angle cutting idea on your soldier course.
    -Darius
    Last edited by KINGRIUS; 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

* a quick note about the dome guide I used for anyone interested.

I wanted a guide I could use for my oven, although I did not want to create an oven with a uniform dome from base to top, rather a lower dome on a set of upright soldier bricks like the Neapolitan style of oven.

I made it using old scraps of wood and clamps, the idea was to have something for next to nothing that could easily slide/ tilt to any angle I desired. In theory the angle would be set using a life size diagram I'd drawn up, taking into account the thin plywood base on which the rotating arm would be mounted (also great for keeping the floor clean). In practice the guide worked up to a point, I think the theory was good but the materials/ workmanship left room for error... still, you might think the idea has potential.

Name:	oven_tool_4.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	276688

Name:	oven_tool_1.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	276689

Name:	oven_tool_2.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	276690

Name:	oven_tool_3.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	276691

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Thanks Jamie, I know it isn't in the same league as some of the precision ovens on the forum, but it fits in the surroundings well and, more importantly, it cooks pizzas which is all I ever wanted!

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Bravo! I love the rustic tile arch, and the way you fit it so seamlessly into the existing structure. Anyone who didn't know better would think it had been there for hundreds of years.

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Curing took ages, probably due to the amount of water present in all that rockwool! I took it steady over a few weeks, leaving a day or two between firings and only increasing the temperature when I was happy sufficient moisture had been drawn out. Here I'm cooking some simple chips to make use of the heat anyway...

Name:	oven_52.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	276673

...after a number of previous firings

Name:	oven_53.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	276674

Finally the oven is starting to get up to temperature - it's nice to see those bricks again!

Name:	oven_54.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	276675

....and my first pizza from the oven!

Name:	oven_55.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	276676

Name:	oven_56.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	276677

Not the best pizza I have ever made, but one of the most rewarding I have ever eaten : )

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Name:	oven_45.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	276668

Name:	oven_46.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	276669

The vent was then insulated using vermiculite concrete, which also served as lightweight concrete to form the lintel. I also rough cut a door from a piece of cast iron fire-back I found behind the house

Name:	oven_48.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	276670

The lintel/ vent was finished with terracotta bricks & tiles

Name:	oven_49.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	276671

Name:	oven_50.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	276672

Leave a comment:

• PerryPizza
    replied

Then came the re-building of the stonework around the oven. I used a sheet of thick plastic to help guard against water penetrating the dome from the slabs above, not a perfect solution but there you go...

Name:	oven_37.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	276663

Aah, the first tiny fire, a big moment for any builder I'm sure...

Name:	oven_39.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	276664

Before getting back to the job in hand before the rain set in

Name:	oven_41.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	276665

I used a terracotta lintel as a base for the vent which was made from firebricks

Name:	oven_43.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	276666

and had to drill trough the large stone slab to form the rough beginnings of the chimney (viewed from above)

Name:	oven_44.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	276667

Leave a comment:

Working...
X