Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: James' deck, fireplace and 36inch oven

Chimeny looks great.

We had a stack of people over last night for 'soup and buns' which is just a small group of people from our church so people can just mingle and get to know each other etc. Anyway my wife thought some garlic pizzas would be a great accompaniment to soup and I am keen to fire up the oven at any opportunity at the moment.

Started the fire when I got home from work 5pm and oven was ready at 6ish so I kept it going till 6:30-6:45pm which is when everyone turned up. I cooked 4 garlic and parmasen in quick succession and I wasn't timing but I reckon they where definatly under 3mins cookng time and getting pretty close to the magic 90 second mark. They where definatly the best pizzas yet.

They where all snapped up pretty quicky so no pictures.

The night before I had started some bread as per the FB hearth bread ebook. One load of Ciabatta using white bakers flour and one no-knead bread in a loaf tin made using an organic/biodynamic unbleached white flour my sister gave me for my B'day.

I waited for the oven to cool down and t wasn't till about 10:30pm that it was getting below 300C. Because I don't have a door yet I placed a tray full of water in the oven to try to keep the moisture levels up a bit in there as well as spraying water.

Loaded all the bread and within about 15mins the ciabatta was done. I am not exactually sure what ciabatta is sposed to taste like and what sort of crust it is sposed to have but the ones I cooked were pretty damb tastey.

The loaf tin took a little longer but came out great as well - the flour makes it taste sort of half way between white and wholemeal bread with a little sourness.

The only thing i would do differently is instead of splitting the dough for the ciabatta into 4 small loaves I would only do 2 or maybe 3. they are just a bit small I reckon.

My only suggesting for making bread is to practice a few times in you gas oven first and I think that has givven be a bit better feel for it before moving onto the WFO.

Cheers
    James
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

I REALLY NEED SOME DRY... SMALL PIECES... HARDWOOD.

I don't think I have gotten my oven up to full temperature YET.

Rodney: So... no clay pot? ( wise choice, I think)

JAMES: Great looking pizza! Isn't it amazing how quickly the pizza starts disappearing, no matter who you are with. I think it has to do with the 1.5 hour fire up time. Hunger is building along with the temperature.

Lars
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

No clay Lars, you turned me off the clay idea and I have my stainless chimney all mortared in now. I will give the arch an acid wash and then fit the insulation before I start my curing process. Pizzas soon!

Comment

And what ever happened with the fireplace? did it work? Did you combine flus out the roof? Very little info about combo units out there.

Comment

You guys are killing me with the steaks you cook.
            WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

I have only just started doing the brickwork for the fireplace - too much time spent cooking pizzas, bread and roasts

I will put up some photos in the next week or 2. I do still plan to combine the flue from the pizza oven and the fireplace so that I only have one chimney on the roof.

Cheers
              James
              Real men cook with fire

Comment

Well so much for finishing that quickly.
                Been a while since I have been on here - been too busy cooking all maner of roasts, bread, pizzas and having a baby (well my wife did anyway).

Well today was a great day cause I got to light my fireplace for the first time - not really needed on a 30c summers afternoon but even at that temp the fireplace drew well and puffed out no more smoke than the pizza oven. Can't wait until an crisp winters night to really crank it up.

Here is how the fireplace looks all finished off

This is looking up at the roof of the fireplace - my back was sore for days after putting in some of those bricks in and contorting into shapes my body just wasn't meant to, was worth it though

First fireplace fire

How the pizza oven and fireplace look at the moment. I need to join the flu from the fireplace and from the pizza oven together before I can brick all the way to the roof.

Cheers
                James
                Real men cook with fire

Comment

That looks great!
                  Jeff
                  My 42-inch build

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up on the fireplace's functionality James. I think that's an excellent use for the base and wonder why it isn't done more often.
                    I want to try out something similar with our oven project, especially since most evenings here can be a little cool, even in the summer.
                    Did the chimney for the fireplace draw well with all the bends in the ducting?
                    Is the fireplace dimensioned to any particular formula or did you work it out as you went along and space allowed? It seems as if there's a bit of science involved with the dimensions for the flue box, smoke chamber, etc.
                    Thanks,
                    Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X