Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James' deck, fireplace and 36inch oven

G'day.
    I just thought I would throw up some photos and a bit of info about what I am upto at the moment.
    12months or so ago my wife and I bought our first home and are now in the middle of doing some renovations which include adding an ensuite and deck to the rear of our home. I figured this was a prime oportunity to also build a WFO, the only trade off was my wife wants an outdoor fireplace so due to limited space I will attempt to build one under my oven.

Anyhow here are some pics and I will try to update them as progress is made.

Here is a photo taken from the back fence before all the work began

Some of the earthworks - sure beats digging holes by hand

Here are the footings and reo mesh for the corner where the oven will sit
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Re: James' deck, fireplace and 36inch oven

Concrete for the footings being poured with the help of my father and brother

All the piers bricked up and ready for timber

Getting the Bearers lined up and level
    Real men cook with fire

Comment

Laying the bricks that will for the wall around the outside of the oven, bench/counter and BBQ.

Timber on and ready for decking boards
      Real men cook with fire

Comment

Concrete poured for the fireplace base and ready for block stand

Almost ready for roofing iron
        Real men cook with fire

Comment

Colourbond iron on

Last layer going on the outside block wall

Real men cook with fire

Comment

Decking on and almost done - 140mm wide Merbau timber held down with 65mm stainless steel decking screws. I had to pilot drill and countersink and then screw in 1600 screw. Gave my makita cordless drill a good workout

Finished off with 3 coats of Feast Watson merbau decking oil

How do you make a slow ute even slower?
            Load it up with 200 firebricks, a coupl of boxes of insulation blanket and a few bags of vermiculite

Looks like it is all moving fast but it has been 5 month since we first started. Hopefully only a month or so till I can light a fire in the oven
            Real men cook with fire

Comment

That's looking great! My favourite is of course the cool green toe nails - but the decking looks good, too....
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hi James,

NICE PROJECT! Keep us posted with lots of pics.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                  That's looking great! My favourite is of course the cool green toe nails - but the decking looks good, too....
                  LOL I thought i cropped that out of the photo - they are my sister in laws stubby little green toes.

I am hoping to get the block stand and some of the fireplace done this weekend.

Here are a few threads which may give a little more background to what I am doing
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/...lace-6168.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/...tage-5627.html
                  Real men cook with fire

Comment

Another step closer to some tastie woodfired pies. Today I poured the hearth slad and hoping tomorrow to pour the vermicrete for the base of the oven tomorrow.
                    To celebrate I made some pizzas using some pizza stones in the oven. Started off with a garlic and parmasen, then 2 with tomato base grilled eggplant capsicum and some feta cheese, a margaretta (my fav at the moment) and finished off with a strawberry and chocolate pizza with ice cream.

At the moment I am aiming for a pizza party for my birthday and hoping to have the oven operational by then so i have a month and a half.

Just wondering how long I should leave the vermicrete before i lay the bricks for the oven floor?

Cheers
                    James
                    Real men cook with fire

Comment

Nice job so far James. It's nice to see someone using a mason string. Primitive tools never seem to fail.

Enjoy the build while you can or you'll be begging your neighbors to build one just so you can help! (who me?)

Be sure to post a lot of pics.
                      Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

From one James to another, you are doing great!

It was great seeing all the photos and the course of the project, from ground zero. Your vermiculite concrete should set in a day or two. It's odd stuff, but it will definitely set and support your oven.

Enjoy!
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Bandrasco View Post
                          It's nice to see someone using a mason string. Primitive tools never seem to fail.

Enjoy the build while you can or you'll be begging your neighbors to build one just so you can help! (who me?)
                          I usually find it is the simple tools which are the most useful - good too cause there is less that can break or go wrong with them.

It is funny you should say about enjoying the build and building more cause i have a friend who wants to build one and i have told him to wait until i have finished mine and we can learn from any mistakes and make his better - secretly i just want to wait till i have fninished mine so i can help him build his.

Seem as though I only need to wait a few days on the vermicrete I am planning on havinf the floor down buy next weekend - 7days - and then I can start on the soldier course.

Man I am starting to get excited. I have been reading on the forums and looking at videos on youtube for the past 12 months or so working out exactly how I am going to do things and it is finally all coming together.

BIG THANKS to the fornobravo community for getting me this far
                          Real men cook with fire

Comment

Excellent job James. Keep us posted with the photos. You have been officially bitten by the WFO BUG.

Comment

Here are a couple pics of the progress so far.
                              This is my brother in law and my nephew who helped pour the hearth slab. Also shows sort of how the chimneys for the fireplace sit

Because the front section of the slab is not supported by any concrete blocks - that is where the fireplace is going to be - I poured the slab a bit thicker to be safe and ended up at 140mm which i think is about 5-5.5 inches

Here is a bit of a shot of the reo bar. In every 2nd core there is 10mm reobar which is chemset into the bottom slab and bent at 90 degrees at the top to support the reo mesh at about 50mm above the bottom of the hearth slab. there is also some extra 12mm reobar in there for good measure.

Vermiculite at 5 or 6 to 1 cement down and the majority of the floor set in place ready for the soldier course

Cheers
                              James
                              Real men cook with fire

Comment

Working...
                              X