Pompeii in Progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pompeii in Progress...

My oven is 42.75" to the oven floor. It also sits back a bit: the oven door at the reveal (inner arch) is 21" from the my block stand. I'll be adding a counter overhang of 4" so I'll have approx a 2' reach to get into my oven.
    I'm 5-11" and long-armed and I'm fine with 42.75". I might have gone for a slightly taller oven (1"-1.5" more-maybe) but then shorter persons would have to build the fire closer to the oven opening since it would be harder to tend the fire in the middle. But that's for my 42" oven, I don't know if yours is smaller.

You left your floor bricks whole and sticking out? I think it just means you have to put your insulation blanket around it too. Maybe others can tell you what to do.

Can't wait to see your pics! -Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I may like it taller, but it is good for an average heigth. I didn't leave whole bricks, a couple that are 3/4 brick that stick out. I poured the vermiculite/portland around the outside of the cooking floor as I plan to stone finish the surface and wanted side insulation I could veneer over. So it will still be insulated around I just figured that's further distance heat can travel away from the cooking surface. I'll probably just cut it back tighter to the dome. Thanks again

Comment

To retain the most heat, I would wrap it in three blankets. Some on the Forum have been able to bake bread 48hrs after the last fire. You can not use too much insullation on the dome. Wrap that wrascal.
        Greg Geisen
        Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

That's the plan to seriously wrap it up. I've got some progress pics. I finished my 8th course. I haven't used forms yet but I think it is time. Not sure exactly what method I'm using; they're are some great ones on the forum. My oven is 48" in diameter and should finish up about 18" tall in the center. The entrance opening is 20" wide by just under 12" high. Thanks for the ongoing support. It has helped a great deal.

Comment

Wide and Low Dome...me like!
            A 48" dome is huge. I'm jealous. Your brick work looks great. Nice joints and consistent cuts. Your oven looks like it's inside a room. Do you have to vent it out or will not be an issue?
            Great shot of you sticking out of the oven. Really funny. Thanks for posting. Nice build, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

Thanks Dino! Yes, I will have to vent the oven outside. I have a hole punched out of the wall behind me to run the exhaust. I hope that process goes smoothly. BTW, I closed my oven a few nights ago. That's a great feeling. My back is thankful as well. I'll post some updated photos shortly. Just waiting on FB blankets now. I noticed one of my rows sticks out past the others. I think my keystone brick to lock the course in place and was a little too snug and the force to secure it in place caused that row to drop lower than I wanted. Is it feasible to sand back that row flush? I was worried that the vibrations of a sander could cause a crack in the dome. But, also it is the only thing I am really unsatisfied with. It's not severe but I would like it flush. Also, my arch has a gap behind the keystone. Since I turned a brick sideways, in relation to the other arch bricks, to cut the keystone it was about inch thinner than the other bricks. I wasn't sure if I should fill it in with an inch thin brick or leave as is, as it might help draw the exhaust to the center of the flue. Any thoughts? I wanted to add a counter overhang as well. I would appreciate any advice on material and how to anchor it down securely, since it on top of the insulating concrete that lacks strength. Thanks as always!

Comment

I think I was being a little too picky with the inner bricks. I filled down a few edges and I'm content. I posted some progress pics. I fixed a couple floor bricks that got a little beat up from the build. Time to finish the decorative arch and insulate. I found some nice stone to finish the outside today. I'm anxious to see how it's going to look.

Comment

Unfortunately for me, FB is out of the insulating blanket for another two weeks and I'm on the east coast which doesn't help my delivery time. Does anyone know of an alternative and reliable source??? I also need an IR thermometor. Thanks!

Comment

I used INSWOOL from Harbison-Walker.
                    -David

Comment

ATD 701 Infrared Laser Thermometer
                      $45 on amazon.com
                      just got mine. great deal.
                      tops out at over 1Kdeg and has adjustable settings.
                      features of a IR at twice the price.
                      Greg Geisen
                      Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Pennsylvania is a big place: If you're near one of the big cities, you should have a refractory supply dealer near you. As Gromit mentioned, HW is the big outfit, but there are other sources.

Do a google maps search for refractory supplies, and get on the phone.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the help. IR Thermometor and Blankets on their way.

Comment

Been away for some time, but wanted to say thanks again for all your support. I opened my restaurant June 4th, 2010 and my oven has been hot ever since. I can't begin to express the satisfaction I have for building my own oven. It's truly one of my greatest accomplishments. Customers are thrilled to come back in my kitchen to see and admire a true wood-fired, Italian brick oven. I owe so much to this forum and God bless you all. The response has been more than a blessing, so much that I am opening a second restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh. Time to swim with the big fish and estatic to begin my second build. It may be a simple or primative concept to build with brick and stone and cook with wood and fire but nothing could be more brilliant than to recreate a timeless and historic tradition that defines an epic age and era of true culinary genious. This is our privaleged tourch to bear and couldn't be more proud to be among this elite and inspired group. I'll post my finished pictures as well as the oven in action as soon as I can.

Comment

Mark,
                              I had to do a double take and re-check all the dates on your thread...it REALLY has been a year since you posted but we're all glad you have the oven done and it's going so well with your restaurant. Thanks for posting your success story. Looking at your ovens brick work again, it's really quite nice. I can imagine how nice your 2nd oven will turn out.

It's really heartening to hear someone who cooks or bakes and opens not only 1 but a 2 restaurants!

I'm sure I speak for anyone on this forum that we're glad to have seen your oven progress and be a small part of your endeavor. Please post some pics of you wfo in action at your restaurant.

Good luck, and well look up your restaurant when we visit.

Cheers, Dino

My Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mkenniso View Post
                                Been away for some time, but wanted to say thanks again for all your support. I opened my restaurant June 4th, 2010 and my oven has been hot ever since. I can't begin to express the satisfaction I have for building my own oven. It's truly one of my greatest accomplishments. Customers are thrilled to come back in my kitchen to see and admire a true wood-fired, Italian brick oven. I owe so much to this forum and God bless you all. The response has been more than a blessing, so much that I am opening a second restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh. Time to swim with the big fish and estatic to begin my second build. It may be a simple or primative concept to build with brick and stone and cook with wood and fire but nothing could be more brilliant than to recreate a timeless and historic tradition that defines an epic age and era of true culinary genious. This is our privaleged tourch to bear and couldn't be more proud to be among this elite and inspired group. I'll post my finished pictures as well as the oven in action as soon as I can.
                                Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                                Mark,
                                I had to do a double take and re-check all the dates on your thread...it REALLY has been a year since you posted but we're all glad you have the oven done and it's going so well with your restaurant. Thanks for posting your success story. Looking at your ovens brick work again, it's really quite nice. I can imagine how nice your 2nd oven will turn out.

It's really heartening to hear someone who cooks or bakes and opens not only 1 but a 2 restaurants!

I'm sure I speak for anyone on this forum that we're glad to have seen your oven progress and be a small part of your endeavor. Please post some pics of you wfo in action at your restaurant.

Good luck, and well look up your restaurant when we visit.

Cheers, Dino
                                We stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before

Congratulations to both of you!
                                Lee B.
                                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                                X