Counter space in front of oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter space in front of oven

I'm planning the counter area in front of the oven (landing in front of vent).

I've seen two basic concepts. The first with the counter at the same level as the oven floor, creating one smooth transition in and out of the oven. Example:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...iot_Oven_2.jpg

The second is with the oven landing a little lower.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...1_DSC03510.JPG
    My oven is exposed to snow/rain. Does this perhaps prevent some of the weather from flowing back into the oven?

For those that use their oven, I'd like some feedback as to functionality.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Counter space in front of oven

Hi Mike,

My oven the landing on the same level as the oven floor (the oven floor is maybe an 1/8" higher):
    PhotoPlog - Enclosure

I like it a LOT. It makes it very easy to slide food in and out. I can lift/drag a heavy roast right onto the landing and maneuver it to the side, clear of the opening.

For weather resistance, I designed my landing to have a very slight slope away from the door so precipitation flows away from the vent landing. That feature, combined with the over hanging roof seems to keep the entry dry in all but the heaviest, slanting downpour.

Ken
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Exactly the same thing as Ken. Same level makes things like big turkeys easy.

Have never had any water in the entry or rear of counter.
      Wade Lively

Comment

Wade, does your landing have a slope to it as well (to prevent water entry?)
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
          Wade, does your landing have a slope to it as well (to prevent water entry?)
          Yes. If I remember correctly about 1/2 bubble.
          Wade Lively

Comment

My landing is the same height as the hearth at the point that it joins the hearth and slopes away like Ken's and Wade's. Likewise heavy comestibles like Thanksgiving turkeys in roasters slide in and out without difficulty.

In construction, with the possible exception of interior floors (where level is perferred), one always slopes away from where water intrusion would cause problems...decks, walkways etc. to do not is to invite problems. The lawn may look level but it slopes away from the house's foundation, likewise the driveway running along side the house slopes away, the patio ajoining etc. Roadways have crown for the same reason. One could go on, but you see my point.

Wiley

Comment

Great advice. I appreciate the input. Makes since, but I didn't realize that.

Les, if your out there lurking today, your oven has it's landing well below the hearth. Do you have any regrets?
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
              X