Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHEAP dry abrasive brick saw from Harbor Freight - On sale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEAP dry abrasive brick saw from Harbor Freight - On sale!

Today I bought a 14" abrasive cut-off saw from (gulp) Harbor Freight.

I am loathe to buy orange power tools(except Fein). It better be yellow (Dewalt) or Red (Milwaukee).

But $50 (on sale; half price) for a brick biter can't be beat. I figure I'll burn it up on the oven. But it's less than renting or buying a wet saw.

It's a cheap tool. Literally and figuratively. $20 buys you a box of 5 cutting disks, enough to finish your dome.

Wear a dust mask, goggles, and earplugs. And do it outdoors. But it will bite a firebrick in half in about 15 seconds. The cut is smooth.

The sale ends May 30, 2006.
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

her is the web page he is refering to
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44829

Last edited by jengineer; 05-19-2006, 10:15 PM. Reason: hey it worked!

Comment

Update: The Cheap HF saw is still alive

I lopped in half about 30 firebricks yesterday. The abrasive wheel is showing lots of wear but is still cutting.

I have found that the saw will cut through a firebrick like a hot knife through butter - until it hits a stone. The firebricks I have contain tiny pebbles as aggregate. When the saw's wheel hits a stone, it bogs down, showers sparks, and there's a horrid burnt smell. Best back off, let the wheel cool, and then come back at it slowly.

The most important thing is to blow the dust out of the motor with compressed air when you're done.

I'll post pix when I get the chance.
      Last edited by Fio; 05-22-2006, 10:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
      There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Here's the cheap saw in action

When the cutting wheel hits a stone in the brick, sparks fly.
        This is loud and dusty, but it's cheap, it works, and it's mine (until I burn it out).

Comment

Dust Solution

When a friend of mine did a project (not a pizza oven) that required brick cutting he used a similar saw. After cutting too many bricks in a cloud of dust he set up a simple box fan a couple of feet back to blow the cloud of brick away from him and the saw constantly. This setup really improved the usability of this type of saw.

Comment

Fio,

May I suggest that you setup a temporary workbench. I used a piece of plywood on top of two cheap plastic sawhorses. It will really save your back and knees...

Drake
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Fio

When I cut the bricks to my oven I used to inmerse the bricks in water, before cut them.
              The red bricks only need to be slighty wet. The firebricks did not present any problems even when heavily wet.
              I did use metal sheet saw in a Makita cutter. One saw to all the brick work!
              No dust clouds over the horizon :-)

Luis

Comment

Three great suggestions. Thanks!

Gator, Drake, and Luis,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll try them all.

Luis, your oven is fantastic. I wish I could find curved bricks like you use.
                Last edited by Fio; 05-25-2006, 08:30 AM.

Comment

The saw survived the entire project and still works

I made literally hundreds of cuts, bisecting full bricks, making trapezoids, and all sorts of wierd shapes. I used the spinning blade as a huge angle grinder and ground compound wedges for fitting into strange areas.

I went through five abrasive wheels and three disposable 3M respirator masks. I generated buckets of dust and brick chips. I abused the heck out of it - when it bogged down on a stone, I let sparks fly.

The saw held up. I didn't even have to change the brushes.

I'd do it again even if the saw cost $100. And if I couldn't buy a cheap HF saw, I'd buy a "good" 14" chop saw for $150.

That's less than two days of rental. Just be sure to blow out the dust after each use.Milwaukee Chop Saw
                  Last edited by Fio; 07-06-2006, 09:09 AM. Reason: misplaced URL

Comment

I love my wife!!!

Got home today

Saw a Brick saw in the driveway!!!!!

My lovely wife bought it for my birthday last week.

I put it together today - had to adjust the water pipes, but it cuts bricks like butter!!!!

I'm on my way!!!!
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Re: CHEAP dry abrasive brick saw from Harbor Freight - On sale!

I bought a diamond blade. I plan to turn my extra table saw into a wet saw. Hope I keep the motor dry....may work dust free ....wouldn't use it on good new saw!
                      I'll let you know
                      tomorrow will be tested
                      sigpic

Comment

I plan to turn my extra table saw into a wet saw.
                        Wow, check your rpm's. Every abrasive blade should have maximum speed in revolutions per minute printed right on the blade. Wood cutting table saws may exceed that: check before powering up.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good thought. I would think it should work. This was not a cheap abrasive blade. Perhaps it is. I think of abrasive blades as those composite jobs nonetheless I appreciate the comment and will double check
                          berryst
                          sigpic

Comment

update: The blade is rated 6110 rpm and the saw 4500 rpm ...well within tolerances
                            sigpic

Comment

make sure the saw is grounded if you are going wet! This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Might be a Darwin Award if you are not careful. How about putting it on a GFI circuit for good measure

Comment

Working...
                              X