Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction time start to finish

Hello,

Assume a willing but inexperienced oven builder who will be constructing the oven in his "spare time." What is the general consensus on how long it takes from groundbreaking to completion? Thanks!

Re: Construction time start to finish

I think this ones going to be all over the map. There are many factors to consider, including (not limited to), experience, your time commitment, how much help you have, how quick you are to make decisions, your preplanning, and access to resources. I am likely on the extreme end of the scale, with zero meaningful construction experience, no help outside my 4 year old son, work full time (including many nights and weekends), and live in an area with few resources. I'm going on over a year with my build. Still hanging in there.

When you estimate time, don't forget cement and refractory mortar need time to cure. No matter how efficient you are, you have to give it all proper time before either moving to the next step or building fires.

As I said, I think I'm one of the slower builds on the forum. There are others that will hopefully chime in with more encouraging time frames.

Good Luck
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Mike is spot on ? way to many variables. I went back to see my time frame. I broke ground in April 2007. Had my first fire in July of 2008. Pretty much had it finished in February 2009. Time flies when you are having fun.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.
        Do you find that it is "life" that gets in the way of faster completion, or is it the complexity of the project? I've never done any masonry work and have done only very few other construction projects. At the same time, I've thought about building an oven for a long time...just trying to go in with my eyes open.

Comment

I started my build on 5-1-09 and hope to have it done by 7-4-09 with some luck I will hit that date. I work full time and only work at night and weekends. I can say that when my family looks for me they start in the dome. I have been waiting to let it cure that is what is taking me so long. I was able to pick up all my materials on my lunch hour in one day. I am sure that speed up the process. As for help just me but that is ok..

Comment

We broke ground on July 4 th weekend last year (2008) and had pizza the first week in september. This is only working weekends with a solid week towards the end of August for the dome. The beginning went pretty quick - day or so for the foundation - cure for a week.
            same for the walls , then the insulation layer, it is hard but didnt take to long. With the dome only did a row a day to let the mortar set, thats when I needed to be there every day. Would do a row then stone the base a little every day.

On that note still have not "finished" the top - I had to finish by Mid september as we were habving a party for 60 or so people for the weekend.
            Pretty much havent done anything since.

Comment

My oven, including foundation, stand, oven and enclosure, took about a year from start to finish. I had a 2-3 month break during winter.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I have a standard reply that pretty much works for all of my projects....
                "every weekend, all summer long"
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by awolkoff View Post
                  I've never done any masonry work and have done only very few other construction projects.
                  The masonry work isn't too bad. My oven was my very first brick and mortar work (as it was with many builders here). The first two rows of bricks are built with a lot of trial and error. Once you hit the groove, it'll go pretty smoothly.

The oven really isn't that complex of a project when you break it down into different small tasks. If you are comfortable with basic do-it-yourself power tools, you can do this.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I started mine in Nov. 08 and was making pizza by the end of Jan. 09. That being said I am still not finished. The amount of detail that you want on the finish will also effect the amount of time.
                    I would stronger recommend using the "indispensible tool", such as the one Greg is using. I wish I had used one, I think it saves a lot of time. Just do a lot of copying (Les' Build) and you can't go wrong.

Mark

Comment

Well, it depends on whether you are counting to fully finished or just to when you can start using it for pizza!
                      From the first shovel to pizza for me was about 3-4 months over the summer, but 6 months later it still needs some work to make it look good. But then i've been having weekly pizza cookups for the last 4 months, so i'm not complaining.

Comment

I built and had my foundation ready the end of 07. I layed my concrete slab around April of 08 and had my first official Pizza party July 4 th 08. THe only issue is you have to let some things dry and cure before you can move to the next step. I'm sure someone has mapped out the "minimum" amount of time. The trick is not to rush it and do it right.

Good luck.
                        Dick

Comment

I broke ground on 2nd May 09 and finished building the dome today (30th may 09). That's with no prior building experience, a full time job, no assistance from anyone, and no concrete mixer!!!

I have to admit though I have worked on it every spare minute ive had, on order to get it finished for summer. I'm exhausted!!!

Still need to build arch, vent and install chimney, do outer insulation layer, and render stand and dome!

Comment

Part of the variable is how complex the outer enclosure will be. A block stand topped by an igloo, all stucco covered, will take less time than a full finished and roofed enclosure.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

i completed mine, with the exception of stucco over the dome in 7 weekends and about 6 weeknights. the weekends i did the larger items and the weeknights i worked on the dome by doing one layer a night. i had my oven curing fires and have been cooking for a month now. other things im still working on was a prep area attatched to my shed that i made out of a 4 1/2 slab of solid rock maple i got from a sawmill, Now i also involved in the landscaping/flooring aspect trying to figure out how tto pretty up the area. I am involved often as a general contractor, so i often sent one of my drivers to pick up supplies, (220 firebrick) etc. and that saved a lot of time for me. my biggest asset was building a temporary awning over the whole oven with a 12 x 12 tarp. which allowed me to work dry when it rained and a lot cooler when the sun was shining. good luck, take your time and every once in a while just get a chair, sit back and look and think out your next step.. good luck and you will enjoy it.. Mark

the pics are pizza countertop,oven and my favorite Dirty steak,,Cooked right on the coals
                              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X