Waterproof paint for ovens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof paint for ovens?

Hi, I finished building my oven and it's in my backyard, I would like to know if it is OK to paint the oven with waterproof paint, is this paint enough protection for the oven during the rainy season?

Thank you!

Re: Waterproof paint for ovens?

ramiro,

Latex sticks pretty good to concrete but a better route is to use an acrylic stucco. You do have it insulated, correct?

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Less, I made my oven with the traditional way that people here in Colombia make the wood fired ovens, a mixture of mud and straw, I didn't insulate it, so when I fire the oven I can feel the heat on the outer walls of the oven, it doesn't get very hot, it feels warm. I finished the oven covering it with thin firebricks (those that are used for the oven floor).

Here there's a waterproof paint used for buildings, but some of them are flamable, so I still don't know what to do....

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiro View Post

Here there's a waterproof paint used for buildings, but some of them are flamable, so I still don't know what to do....
        Is it flammable after it dries? I wouldn't go with either of my previous suggestions as "warm" is a relative term. I'm stumped - anyone else have an idea other than insulate?

Les...

Comment

Since you built your oven like the locals do, "in the traditional way" what is the traditional way to waterproof a WFO made of mud and straw in Columbia?

I'm not trying to be smart, just what you are describing is something akin to what I know as a "cob oven" and I have never seen a cob oven that is painted as a means of waterproofing. The two cob ovens I have experience with are usually under cover of a tarp (with lots of venting so the tarp doesn't trap moisture) when not in use. I have seen photos of them built under a protective roof type structure as well.

It will be interesting to see what you end up doing. Please keep us posted.

Bests,
          Wiley

Comment

Acrylic stucco is one way to go. Remember that you will get a lot of expansion / contraction during a use cycle.

This is "water resistant" and will be OK for minor rainfall. In the rainy season, or for prolonged period of non use, I cover mine with a sheet of plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
              Acrylic stucco is one way to go.
              I'm not sure it will handle the heat - this is an uninsulated oven. I checked the spec of the Dryvit I used. All they say is that they passed the ASTM E 84 test. I don't have access to that spec so no clue how hot it got.

Comment

Working...
              X