Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drake's 38" Oven

Great Read!

I really learned a lot from all of your pictures and comments.

Man it looks great.

I must admit, my goal is much loftier now!

Thanks Drake

It's a beaut!
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Thanks, I am still active on these message boards, so post questions if you have any!
      Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I got a Private Message asking me for the dimensions of the oven overall.

The base is 64" deep and 56" wide. I was careful to make both measurements divisible by 8 to match the decorative brick used to cover the top.

The oven enclosure itself is 56" square. The vent sticks out a few inches. This gives me about 8-10 inches of landing space on either side of the vent (the landing hangs over the stand slightly) and about 4" in front of the vent.

This was a pretty tight fit for a 38" oven as you can see in some of the pictures, but I did not want to make the stand 2" wider since that would have been a problem for the decorative brick installation. Instead I used more insulating blanket and some creative stud work to keep as much insulation room between the oven and the walls. It worked fine, no heat gets to the outside walls.

The oven mouth is about 42" above the patio and the top of the chimney is about 8' high.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is another measurement you are looking for.

Drake
        My Oven Thread:

Comment

Love the oven, hopefully they will let me build mine. Perhaps I'll use yours as an example of how nice it will look :-)

Comment

Drake - nice looking oven. I'm in Longmont and getting ready to do mine and a neighbor's at same time. Also started with a plan from the Scott archive for a barrel oven - glad I found this site.

Where did you find the firebrick? Price?

How is the flat roof holding up. We are in a desert, so I had been thinking the same thing.

Any regrets you'd fix on the next one?

Comment

Heya,
              Nice to see another colorado user on the forum! I got my firebrick from Robinson bricks, and but now they are called general shale. http://www.generalshale.com/

The flat roof has been holding up quite well. I did put a piece of pond liner underneath in case it ever does leak. I am also very happy with my cast vent, it has kept the smoke stains off the front of the oven.

Things I would do differently:
              1) Pay more attention to squaring up my entrance, it is a little off square and that makes the door a little tricky.

2) Build without forms (using the indespensible tool). It makes for a cleaner build inside the oven (no functional problems, just aesthetics.

Here are a few more links for you.

I purchased insulating blanket, insulating board and castable
              refractory material (for my vent) here:
              United Western Denver
              Google Map to United Western

The mortar (Heatstop) was harder to find. A lot of places had an airset mortar (premixed in a tub) but that is not the right stuff. You want a dry
              mix, and heatstop was excellent.
              Try Hillen Corp or Threewit Cooper

Hope that helps!
              My Oven Thread:

Comment

Excellent -thanks.

I am not expecting to get to the oven this fall, but hope to get started with the concrete work for sure. Unfortunately, I have about 100 trees that are shedding their leaves so most of my free time is committed.

Comment

Drake, Cnegrelli, another Coloradoian here and I'm getting ready to start my build. Foundation was poured last spring and in Mar I plan on starting with the base, hope to be done by early May. Been researching this stuff for almost a year. Currently in Colorado Springs.

Goal: 36" dome oven, encased. Idea I have is almost similar to Drake's.

I read one of the recent post on where to get the insultion items, which was one of my biggest questions so far, so thanks!

Comment

Fantastic! Welcome aboard. Let me know if you have other questions.

Drake
                    My Oven Thread:

Comment

I went to the Western Denver United website, but couldn't find the insulation blanket or the insulation board, do they call it something else?

Also, how did you complete/assemble your working/surface area in front of the oven?

Comment

Hi.. I got my insulation blankets from skyline components out of Az, skylinecomponentsdotcom relatively inexspensive and shipping wasnt bad ,I also got firebricks from Threewit Cooper in Denver near Coors Field.
                        1.82 per brick Also got HS 50 there too.
                        “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

cs,

EJ Bartells has an office in Denver, they carry all type of refractory products. I bought my CaSi and GlasFoam board from the Utha branch, they also carry cf blankets and fire brick.
                          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-05-2013, 02:15 PM. Reason: typos
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Colorado Ed, nice to see you in the Springs too. I'm on the NE side, Briargate and Powers.

Was it cheaper to get your firebricks up in Denver, vice say C&C Sand or General Shale in town here?

Comment

Most definitely the cheapest I could find in town was over 3 dollars.. You can buy the high heat refractory mortar there also..Threewit-Cooper.. Is right by Coors Field..
                              Last edited by Coloradoredusa; 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM.
                              “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                                I am going to start a new thread since I have graduated from stand construction to oven construction.

I laid out the arch profile and the hearth today.

I decided on a 38" oven with a 20" interior height and a 19" x 11.5" opening.

I have attached pictures of the arch and door layout that I mocked up as well as two hearth options (one has the herringbone pattern). I am not sure which hearth I will use yet.

I have not cut any (or many) bricks yet, so these mockups were mostly made with full size firebrick.

Drake
                                I have seen yours oven pictures. You have done a great job. Even I am thinking of making an oven for my resturant. I want to sell dutch pizza. Can you guide how to build a pefect oven for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X