Refractory Bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory Bricks

I am ready to start the dome construction, but I am feeling a little uneasy about my refractory bricks. I bought them many years ago from a demolition of a glass blowing kiln. I have no idea how to determine if they are appropriate for an oven. They were manufactured Royal Gorge--I can't find any info about the company. Due to budget constraints I am hoping they are OK. Any thoughts? Also, what is the estimated amount of bricks for a tuscan style 36" oven?

Marty

Re: Refractory Bricks

Hi Marty,

How much do they weigh and how large are they. A typical medium duty firebrick weighs about 8 lbs, so if your weight and size are consistent, you probably have the right density.

I think it would be hard to tell the duty rating on the bricks -- which depends on the composition, but really, you will be fine regardless. Medium duty is optimal, but even high duty bricks are OK. They get really hot and cool down a little faster, but your oven would still be fine.

You need about 180 bricks for the floor, dome and vent.
    Enjoy!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Would there be a concern if they were used in a glass kiln? I don't know if brick can absorb the lead or not. Just a thought.

Les....
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I hadn't thought about the lead. I should probably look into that. The bricks are standard size 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 and weigh 7.5 lbs.

Comment

I will think about who to ask about glass and lead and get back to you. Otherwise, your bricks are looking good.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I sent for a lead test kit from Lead Check. LeadCheck Swabs Industrial. I contacted several testing labs and they all expressed concern because lead becomes volatile at the oven temperatures. They also thought I should test the clay I will be using for mortar. Hopefully the tests will be negative and I can get on with this project.

Comment

Working...
            X