Cutting Clay Flue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Clay Flue

I have been looking for the thread but cannot find it. I am looking to cut my Flue out of clay 13x13 flues. I was reading in a post about cutting them and tapering them to work properly. Does anyone have any experience cutting them and what should I know?
    Thanks for the help..

Re: Cutting Clay Flue

I used a angle grinder with masonry blade. Worked pretty well, but kicked up some of the nastiest orange dust I've ever seen. Wear adequate safety goggles and a good respiratory mask.

I followed the lead of dmun

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-765.html POST # 95

good luck
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

I used an angle grinder with a diamond blade. It is nasty but not anything to worry about. My thread may have some pix or info, but I know Les' thread does. Its not really a big deal.

Mark

Comment

It's an angle grinder job, as mfiore and exceloven said. There's some pictures of the process on my build, linked below.

Just a question: 13 x 13 is a huge flue, far larger than any oven needs. Is there a reason you're using such big tile? That's what they make for huge mansion sized fireplaces.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The 13x13 is all that I could fine around here. I find that odd but that is it. Cutting it was a whole lot EZ'er than I thought it would be. I was able to taper the flue the way I wanted and cut to fit the dome also. Should not worry so much and just do it…..
          Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          X