SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Here is an updated photo of the build. I still have stucco to get on the enclosure and a mission tile roof, but it's weather tight and cooking.

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris,
      Looking great.. for the stucco have you considered using the Quikrete Surface bonding cement, Great stuff, easy to work with on any skill level. A little pricey, about 17.00 a bag and you woud need 3 or 4.
      Cheers
      Mark
      QUIKRETE? - QUIKWALL? Surface Bonding Cement

Comment

Thanks for the referal Mark,
        I haven't targeted a specific product for the stucco yet. I'll take a look at the Quikwall. I have some stonework that I want to get placed on the oven before I start the stucco. I was hoping this would happen before the new year, sigh! On a brighter note, my brother and sister in law have some mission roof tile in there garage that they want to donate to the cause.

Chris

Comment

Although I haven't done much for the last month, the project is still moving along. Carl, a long time friend and stone / tile craftsman has been busy forming the granite landing and work area. Thursday he set the stone in front of the oven and formed the base of support for the work area to the right of the oven, Monday he?ll set the slab. Since I've been cooking in the oven it's been awkward running from kitchen to the oven and back. The original plan included the adjacent work area and I?m excited to have the granite in.

Chris

Comment

Looks really great Chris!
            That was a really good idea to build the counter there next to the oven. Was that an existing planter/patio wall that you just poured a counter on? It looks like a perfect spot, just made for it.
            Cheers, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino the counter wall evolved to the current state. Initually the concrete contractor had it in his mind that there would be no wall here. I knew that I needed to put a short wall in here to direct the runoff from uphill toward collection drains. Then since the wall was in the dinning / wfo area I knew I needed to bring it up and add the counter top. It seems that no matter how big your table the plates accumulate.. Anyway it's much more comfortable to a clearer table to spend time with friends and family over. I don't know if in the end I'll add a sink somewhere, it's likely I will.

Chris

PS Pictures of the counter top to come later today.

Comment

And here are the photos of the counter top and tile work on the front corners.

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris, Really great build, I've been checking in for a couple of weeks now. I've been inspired to build a great counter like yours when I'm done the oven. Looking forward to more pix of the tile and stucco work.
                  Thanks
                  John

Comment

Chris, great looking counter tops! What are they sealed with?
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks John and Mike! Mike I don't know what it's sealed with, I'll ask Carl about the care and feeding, of the granite, over and above the obigatory pizza.

Chris

Comment

Easter Morning.

I decided to heat the oven to do a Rib Roast later in the day. Here are a few
                        pictures to add.

Chris

Comment

Looks great Chris! Happy easter.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hey Chris,,
                            Very Impressive, Your oven, the counter tops, the whole aree is looking really great..

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Very nice Chris, I like the Spanish tile roof. Your keystone and outer arch pieces look good too. Very inviting outdoor dining area. How much cooking have you done in the oven so far?
                              -Dino
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Les Mark and Dino.
                                Dino, I was cooking nearly every weekend, but I slowed down over the last month, family stuff. I intend to kick it back in full gear next weekend. My Father in-law get's here late April and he's an old pro with a WFO. It turns out that he had a WFO restraunt Chateauroux in the Loire Valley France, so the oven will be an old friend to him. Yesterday I did a Standing Rib Roast with Endive Gratin and foil wrapped roasted beets with a sprig of thyme.
                                I told my wife that the earth moved because the food was so yummy. It turns out that the Baja earthquake was the source.. I have had Peter Reinhart's new cookbook, "Artisan Bread Every Day" for a couple of weeks now and want to dial in the weekend bread making. I'll keep everyone posted..

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X