Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keystone CRA|CK Ugh!!!!

LARS,

You mentioned putting the fresh wood at the back of the storage area to dry and become seasoned. I would imagine the back are wouldnt allow the wood to dry all that much actually I would imagine it would keep the wood fairly moist even after a couple of years.

Does anyone use the end of the burning period to dry their wood? I would imagine once all the coals are raked out and the temps are getting low this would be an ideal opportunity to put wood in the chamber to dry.

Any ideas???

Also has anyone used the refractory lintels for support of the chimney to avoid to much weight being put on the arch leading to cracking? I know some people use angle iron but I would assume with heat there would be too much expansion and contraction of the angle iron and cause cracking anyway. But would assume the refractory lintels are made out of refractory material and would therefore have less expansion on heating.

ikhan42
    Last edited by ikhan42; 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Ikhan,
      Unless I'm doing a retained heat bake I use the heat at the end of most firings to dry the wood for the next firing. I have found that I can load more than twice the wood I need for a usual pizza get-together if I really want to pack full the WFO. I leave the door ajar and I have come back days later to find that the wood is still warm.

By doing this the wood is very dry and catches fire fast and burns clean. I try and not use just cut green wood but wood as it comes from our stacked wood supply for the house. Being in the country we heat with wood and most of it is about a year old (since cut). However, being in the Pacific Northwest "dry wood" stacked outdoors but under cover still has a significant moisture content.

Bests,
      Wiley

Comment

Cool thats fair enuff.

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
        Ikhan,
        Unless I'm doing a retained heat bake I use the heat at the end of most firings to dry the wood for the next firing. I have found that I can load more than twice the wood I need for a usual pizza get-together if I really want to pack full the WFO. I leave the door ajar and I have come back days later to find that the wood is still warm.

By doing this the wood is very dry and catches fire fast and burns clean. I try and not use just cut green wood but wood as it comes from our stacked wood supply for the house. Being in the country we heat with wood and most of it is about a year old (since cut). However, being in the Pacific Northwest "dry wood" stacked outdoors but under cover still has a significant moisture content.

Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

Working...
        X