• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GianniFocaccia
    replied
    Re: OctoForno

Doug,

I got the idea after looking at the inside transition pics of builders making the crazy cuts to merge the converging circular dome walls with the linear inner arch plane. My first question was why not just cut the arch brick to eliminate that gap? That way I could angle the top of the arch brick to accept the next dome course naturally and with a mortar gap consistent with the rest of the dome. Second question was 'will angling the arch bricks make for a weaker, or stronger transition?' I wasn't sure, but I feel that by replacing all the gaps with continuous firebrick the transition is stronger.

When I saw you had done the same thing I knew I wasn't totally crazy and wondered where you got the same idea?

My guess is the exhaust flow out of the oven may be slightly smoother this way, but I'm sure the oven won't operate any differently and the food inside certainly doesn't care!

Chris, no way I can get the dome finished and the entryway completed in two weeks! I'm still finalizing the flared hemi-entrance design in my mind. But it is getting closer!

John
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

John,
    You're close... Pizza in 2 weeks?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Wow your dome looks amazing, those transitions look incredible.. makes mine look so bad now!

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Well, got a little more done on the dome. I'm about 75% through the 11th course and getting excited because I'm almost there! Here's pics of the dome with the 10th course complete.

I've been using a little technique I learned here with a slight variation. I've been scooping out these little 'D' shaped indents on the side and bottom of each brick since the early courses. They don't take that long to do and I figured they couldn't hurt. Well, now that the courses are starting to go vertical, it's really nice to tap each buttered brick into place and viola! The brick stays put immediately!

John

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Thank you very much for posting so much detail on your arch. I am tackling mine tomorrow and this was most helpful.

Your build is an inspiration

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Congrats on completing the arch! You are very close to completing the brickwork.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks for the thorough reply John. Due to the smaller size of my oven the sides of my arch will be vertical (more opening area), but I plan to use your technique never the less. I think it will still work, but with just a bit more mental gymnastics.

gene

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Hi Gene,

Thanks, I'm happy with how the arch and transition came out. Here's the process I used:

I used my 10" HF saw with a continuous rim HD Husky tile blade. Once I had settled on the shape of my arch (slightly flattened hemisphere) I drew out the arch on a piece of cardboard and came up with the taper dimensions for 21 bricks. Since my arch is not a true hemisphere (slightly flattened) each of the tapered bricks is slightly different, but not enough to notice. I then made a template out of piece of firebrick (pic 1) and used this throughout the arch.

The photos in my build thread show the slightly triangle shape 'core' that my arch bricks started from and pic 2 shows the outline I used to cut my bricks. The masonry pencils used to draw the outlines came courtesy of Tom (tscarborough), BTW. Once I had the outline drawn I held the brick up (off the saw table) against the saw blade. I made a shallow cut (1/2" deep) following the guide lines all around and repeated this until the blade cut all the way through. Any high spots left on the side of the brick I then leveled with my angle grinder.

The next step was to make concave (radius?) the faces of the brick that point into the oven and down towards the floor. I did this by slowly dragging the face to be contoured perpendicular against the blade. Not 90*, but slightly less (eyeball) so I ended up with a very shallow crater. I did this both vertically and horizontally across the small face that you see from the inside of the oven. The brick in pic 3 shows how I'm doing the same thing by contouring the face as well as the tops and bottoms of the dome bricks.

Yeah, this takes a little more time but I only get to build this thing once.

One other thing. I didn't initially build the entire arch before moving on. Like Karangi Dude I felt it beneficial to match each arch brick to the corresponding course it touches so that they both lined up correctly. Only at the very end did I complete the arch before building the course that laid on top of it. The trick I'd like to share is that I tapered all of the arch bricks and stood them in place using soapstone shims to simulate their proper spacing. I then used an indispensable tool with a pencil to trace the proper interior horizontal dimension before cutting. This is how I got them to line up with each other (post #34 in my build thread) in an arc consistent with the interior dimensions of the rest of the dome. Also, don't be afraid to use the side of the blade to do the super-fine custom-fitting. This is really useful when cutting the parallel bevels that face the interior of the dome.

I'm wondering if any of this makes sense. Since I've done it, it seems rather straightforward, but if you have questions I don't mind answering them. I feel this type of arch is arguably stronger than straight-sided arches and it's aesthetics make it worth the time it takes to build it. It's also been the most fun part of my build by far.

Hope this helps,

John
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 06-03-2011, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

John,

Great looking build
    I am curious as to how you cut the tapers in your arch so precisely? Did you use a 14" block saw, or a 10" tile saw and flip the brick a few times? I'm having a bit of trouble cutting those tapers using my 10" saw. Seems I have to approach the cut from about 4 different positions and it is difficult to realign the blade with the cut (proper taper angle) each time. Any hints, 'cause your cuts look just about perfect!

gene

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks Chris and Mike,

I can thank you, Chris, for getting me on the SStone thing. Hopefully, I'm gonna have a lot of data to report back on re: floor vs dome heat-up times, 4" floor thickness and heat retention, and using the SStone as an 'element' to cook casseroles, simmer soups and beans, etc. Although I have (so far) elected not to install thermocouples, I'm hoping the IR thermometer will initially teach me enough about heat management so I can later just cook by the seat of my pants.

Mike, to be honest, I was so apprehensive about taking on this project (I'd never really built anything previously) that prior to starting I analyzed it to death. Thank heaven for SketchUp!
    John
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM. Reason: can't spell

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Tom,

Thanks. Yeah, we may have started at the same time but you've been cooking in your oven for months now. Some days I can 'smell the pizza' coming out of my oven but most days all my oven provides is testamony that I am the world's slowest mason ever.

John

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

John,

Are you trying to make us all look bad (ok maybe just me)? That is one nice looking build, I wish I could put it together like that. Keep it going.

Mike D

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

The oven is looking good and I love the look of the SStone floor!! The next ring is over the arch and you have all of the skills wired, so things are going to move fast now..

Again, Looking very very good!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ThermoJax
    replied

Wow !!! You and I started at the same time, and I rushed my oven. Your is perfection. Super job. Keep going. I can't wait to see the finished oven. I know you will love it. Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks for the kind words, gents. So far, this build has been nothing but a labor of love and a tribute to all those who have built before me and shared (and bared) their handiwork.
    John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X