Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novaslo
    replied
    They should just roll back to the old forum.. I visited it everynight. Now I have to remind myself to want to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied
    Chip,

I feel the same way. My guess is that James' business model has shifted to the consumer e-tailing experience and the cost of maintaining the Forum too cost-prohibitive. Hence, the lack of support (even minimal communication to Forum members) in face of the obvious downgrade in Forum usability. Hell, how is it that Gulf and other members have to spend their time and energy to educate Forum members onSearch and other functions when a simple Sticky from James would do nicely?

The experience for Forum members is now poor at best and readership may well deteriorate (intended) further until it dwindles to a more manageable level for James.

Hope all is well with you.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Chip,
    If you haven't already, try this for the most recent posts.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    And some form of help to aid in navigating this new un-intuitive mess of a system. Things seem to be out of order, no photos, most recent entries are in some unknown location, searches return no results, I. Could go on and on.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Where are all our photo's .................................................. .........:-(

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied
    Re: OctoForno

Gooters,

Couple items I forgot to mention on your other inquiry: Yes, I would add 25-50% more insulation under the floor if you go with soapstone and one flat layer of firebrick.

Others have reported soapstone scratching heavily but I haven't seen it. In between sessions I like to sweep out the oven and wipe the floor with a wet towel. Looks brand new.

Leave a comment:

• Gooters
    replied

Hi
    beautiful brick work!

HOW IS THE SOAPSTONE WORKING OUT?

I have SS slab I plan to use and have been told "it gets too hot" while at the same time "it takes too much heat " and you can't cook correctly -what ever that means.

So im confused - should I add more mass under my SS or reduce it? Should I insulate more under it or reduce it?

you seem to have the quintessential build here. I think you may be crazy but at least you can eat well!
    thanks for all your info - priceless.
    kinda fun to read a small journal of your life in this build forum.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I've done mine somewhat differently. Mine is between the outer mouth of the entry and the outer decorative arch. This way the entry is integrated with the dome rather than separated from it. I therefore don't bother filling the small gap at the sides and the top with anything, just the gap at floor level which I fill with vermicrete.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Hi Randy,
    I'm not sure how to evaluate it since I have nothing to compare it to. The most important element to it is that the floor and entire entryway is separate from the oven, leaving a 360* heatbreak. Sorry I'm not much help.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

I was just wondering how your thermal break performance is. I am trying to decide what way to go and yours looks very simple in design, and simple is normally the best plan and most likely to work as intended. Thanks for any advice.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks for the compliment, Wayne. Just passing on what I learned from those before me.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

I simply set up the arch form and used the IT to determine the angle on the top brick of the arch, or basically the two brick next to the keystone. Marked that angle and cut them all the same and built the arch. That angle doesn't change and your course will tie in quite well. You have to cut the two sides of the course anyway. If this doesn't make sense maybe this pic will help. Of course mine is a half arch but you can use the IT to determine the angle and build the arch regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

John, I still am amazed at the quality of your build, was a joy to use your build as a reference. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

should I form the inner arch previous to each of the courses or do each course of the arch as I go
    I completed just enough courses to be a little higher than where the bottom of the inner arch would be. On the TDC brick, I used the wood template to determine the floor-facing angle. Then I pulled a string across the top of the brick (that would match the dome's next course) to get the upper angle. That way, everything would come together in one course.

You could use your IT to get the lower angle, and by doing it this way can determine the optimum distance the inner arch needs to be from the center of the oven. I mocked this up in Sketchup before I started the dome, and was relieved when it actually worked in real life.

John

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Here's some more pics of construction of the inner arch, my SketchUp profile, and the dome template I used. I'm really pleased with the way the transition turned out.
    John,

In your opinion should I form the inner arch previous to each of the courses or do each course of the arch as I go around the dome? I've been looking at several builds and I'm not sure of the exact measurements to do the arch first. I don't quite know the angles of the cuts and so forth. Your cuts for the arch were great. I have a template for the angle of each of the bricks on the front but I don't know how long the bricks should be or what the back angle should be... maybe I will just play with it a bit and see what works best, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loren

Leave a comment:

Working...
X