X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GianniFocaccia
    replied
    Re: OctoForno

Thanks again John. I figured it would be around 200 bricks but I gotta say I am glad to see that you got by with only one bag of each (excluding the sand). That sounds much better than the $95/bag it would have cost for the high temp mortar from my local supply yard.
    Yup... I couldn't justify spending that much for a mortar that reportedly didn't perform as well as the homebrew. After three or four gyrations of sand combinations/proportions, I settled on a recipe I really like and would use again. The properties I found beneficial were workability, stickiness, and is non-water-soluable.

I will be happy to report my curing and firing results once I get to it, and am most curious to observe whatever cracking occurs.

John

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Thanks Mike. I will need all the luck I can get.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

-You end up using a lot more mortar and bricks than you can first imagine. I don't know how many time I have been back to the store to pick up one thing or another. Good luck.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Thanks again John. I figured it would be around 200 bricks but I gotta say I am glad to see that you got by with only one bag of each (excluding the sand). That sounds much better than the $95/bag it would have cost for the high temp mortar from my local supply yard.

thanks!

Nate

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Nate,
    I couldn't tell you how many bricks I used because i didn't go with half-bricks and switch to 1/3 bricks as I neared the top of the dome like most builders do. I purposely started with a narrower brick than most on the first course and staggered each successive course right in the middle of the brick below. I ended up with about 32 bricks per course over 13 courses and a plug instead of the standard 11. Most other builders report using about 200 bricks I think.

For the homebrew, one 50lb bag each of fire clay ($9), hydrated lime ($8), portland ($7) should cover your build. I went through three 50lb bags of silica sand (120) but threw quite a bit away since I didn't cover my dome.
    HTH,
    John

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Hey John,

Since I have never done any kind of masonry work before and have no idea how much of the ingredients to buy, I was wondering if you could tell me. I want to do the homebrew mix but have no idea what quantities to order. I know you gave the ratios of what to use but how much did you use in your build to get the dome completed? I don't want to buy way too much but I also don't want to keep running across town to buy more because I didn't get enough. Any idea how much you used? And I can't remember if I asked this or if you stated it somewhere already but do you remember how many bricks you used?

As always, your information and time (or anybody else's) is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to see more pics of your build

Nate

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Howdy Nate,
    I used the classic homebrew recipe using 120 silica sand. The ratio is 1-3-1-1 portland, sand, hydrated lime and fireclay. This made for a smooth, creamy mortar that was a pure joy to use and very sticky. It also cleaned up with a moist rag and if I build another oven I will use the same stuff.

John

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Hey John,

I just thought of another question since I just got done reading the Sticky on Refractory mortar. Do I remember correctly that you used the "home brew" mix or did you use something like Heatstop 50? If you did use your own mix which did you use and how do you feel about it now since you got your dome completed?

Thanks again for all the help and answers.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Thanks John,

It is good to hear you say that. The idea of people helping people like this forum does is one of the things that makes this forum awesome. Also, after reading what you said about Sketchup I had to go find it and now I just need to learn to use it better so that I can sketch up my plans (once I figure out what I want to go with of course ). So thanks for that info as well.

I am looking forward to reading about and viewing the rest of your build (no pressure of course )

Thanks again!

Nate

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks for the compliments, guys. You really know how to keep a guy humble! Truth be told, if it wasn't for the generosity of the builders here who invest in becoming engaged and sharing their knowledge, I'd probably have never committed to building my oven.

I hope you don't think I "hijacked" your thread
    Nate - Actually, I was thinking just the opposite after I posted my reply to your question. What a great place to provide clarification or a design approach to one who is now in the same place I was a year ago. All you have to do is ask, and to hear the occasional 'aha' makes it all worthwhile. I figure this isn't my thread. It's for everybody who uses it for inqueries and answers.
    John

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

John,

I hope you don't think I "hijacked" your thread (even if just temporarily) but thanks for taking the time to respond. And Chris and chidding thanks to you guys, too. The more I have studied this build thread the more "aha" moments I have been having so thanks for all the help just by posting so much detail. It is appreciated more than you know.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Top 10 at least...number one gets my vote

gene

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Dang that's a good lookin' oven...
    Good lookin' isn't even close! One of the finest pieces of work I've seen. Has to be in the top ten for sure!
    Great Job!

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Dang that's a good lookin' oven...

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Such a pretty oven.. Are you sure you want to spoil it with a fire..

Chris

Leave a comment:

Working...
X