• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: OctoForno

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Hey John -
    When are we going to see some pictures of fire in that oven of yours? It's looking like the ultimate garage queen right now!
    Now, this really is "deja vu" for me. DJ lit a fire under my as with almost the same post . Here, Post #320.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Hey John -
    When are we going to see some pictures of fire in that oven of yours? It's looking like the ultimate garage queen right now!

Leave a comment:

• aceves
    replied

Hi John,

Yes, please post some pics! How's your build going?

Aceves

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

hey!!! thought it was time to lift this to the head of the thread.
    John hope you don't mind.... It's one of the key builds i'm using for my own build.

Hoping John that you may get to your outer landing area as mine is very similar to yours with a flared landing.

Hope all is well...

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

John

Just wondering have you finsihed your oven if you have would it be possible to post some photos please.

Lots of us would love to see the build photos after your last posting

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Chris

Have noticed that Gianni has posted on other threads.

Maybe pm him.

I do want to see some updates as his build is one of the core builds I have been studying.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Les's build was bad enough, kind of like a burlesque show that went on and on. John your build is beyond this tease wise.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi John

Would love to see the rest of your pics leading to the finished product.....
    Am assuming you have finsihed your build.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

John, how's the oven coming?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

I have 3 1/2" soapstone bricks and was told not to use them for the floor because they are not an insulator
    Chip's right: I positioned my soapstone as the baking surface since it reportedly recharges more quickly than firebrick. I believe this is why commercial ovens employ soapstone. I actually have a layer of 2.5"-thick firebrick sandwiched between the soapstone and 5.5" of insulation. That gives me a total 3.75" of floor mass.

I'd love to report on the performance of my oven but I just acquired my flue and am now forming up my entryway arches and vent.

I think 3.5"-thick soapstone bricks are the bomb. They should charge quickly and with sufficient insulation underneath, retain their heat. Like concrete, with bricks, you engineer potential cracks out of the equation.

John

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

thanks. that is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Dagored154 View Post
    I have 3 1/2" soapstone bricks and was told not to use them for the floor because they are not an insulator. I love what you did with yours, any problem with baking? does the oven cool down too much?
    John used the soapstone as his baking layer and has insulation under the soapstone slabs. You could do it this way and it will work nicely.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

I have 3 1/2" soapstone bricks and was told not to use them for the floor because they are not an insulator. I love what you did with yours, any problem with baking? does the oven cool down too much?

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Ping!

John, Do you have any new photos to share?

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Well, John...as my grandmother and great aunt always said...NEVER trust a skinny cook!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X