X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: OctoForno

Plus the bragging rights to say I did it myself.............

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Justified buy saving 80% through DIY.
    So true. I rationalize almost all of my purchases/projects using this very sound logic! And, given the inordinate amount of time I invest to get them done, convince myself I can get a better result than paying someone who does it in a hurry.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    ...... sound expensive though.
    Justified buy saving 80% through DIY.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Not as lousy as mortar makes for pizza crust.
    True,true.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Dough makes lousy stucco.
    If it stick a well as it sticks to my pizza peel as my walls, I say it would make a excellent stucco.

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Whenever you are mixing stucco or mortar, if doing it by hand, a minimum of 5 minutes is really a minimum. It goes through stages, depending upon how you add the water.

I add about half the water that I think will do to one side and then mix that into a slurry, then begin mixing in more dry material, still keeping the mix soupy. Once there is no more free water, begin adding small increments of water, mixing the whole mass together before adding more. When it is 100% mixed, no dry particles, evenly "wet", let it rest for a few minutes, then mix it for another minute or two and it is ready to go.

Hey! That is exactly the way to hand mix dough too, who would have thought....
    I don't want to hi jack John's thread, so any response to this we can finish on my build thread. I mixed what I thought was a dry mix similar to what you explained in a electric mixer. I allowed it to continue to mix while tending to the stucco on the enclosure, only to return to a soupy mixture. The next batch started even dryer . Same thing ???? Again I think over mixing is my issue, the rest period I thought was sitting and my staging board. It ain't rocket science I keep telling myself, but the solution is eluding me.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the granite cladding. It should be awesome as the rest of the build, sound expensive though.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Not as lousy as mortar makes for pizza crust.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Dough makes lousy stucco.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Whenever you are mixing stucco or mortar, if doing it by hand, a minimum of 5 minutes is really a minimum. It goes through stages, depending upon how you add the water.

I add about half the water that I think will do to one side and then mix that into a slurry, then begin mixing in more dry material, still keeping the mix soupy. Once there is no more free water, begin adding small increments of water, mixing the whole mass together before adding more. When it is 100% mixed, no dry particles, evenly "wet", let it rest for a few minutes, then mix it for another minute or two and it is ready to go.

Hey! That is exactly the way to hand mix dough too, who would have thought....
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I'm looking forward to seeing the granite cladding.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Not really experienced with stucco altho I like the look. I'm sure there are others here who can offer advice.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia
    Thanks KB,

When I looked at the crack the morning after, the mortar kind of just 'fell out' which means I didn't initially mix the home brew very well (at all). During the entire build I usually over mixed my mortar, entraining a lot of air into the mix to ensure all granules were sufficiently hydrated. This small oversight was certainly my fault. Too bad it was front and center. Oh we'll.

Your oven was artfully cobstructed, and to tell you the truth, your crack is barely noticeable. You'll get many, many enjoyable meals out of it. Kudos on a job well done.

John
    Thanks for the complements on my build.....My crack is a lot more noticeable on heat up. I used a pre mix refractory mortar on my. I tried to shoot for 1/8" mortar joints, that was quite a challenge on the arch I ended up with very little mortar in my top joints. Oh well water under the bridge.

I think I may have over mixed the stucco I did recently on the enclosure. The manufacture of the stucco cement stated to mix a min of 5 minutes. I had some adhesion problems. I thought the more the better. I wonder what the max mix time would be? I hope I don't have the same issue when I stucco the rest of my build. I notice a slight bow on one of my walls I hope it not hollow underneath. No cracking yet, I will have to drill a small hole and check for a void.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks KB,

When I looked at the crack the morning after, the mortar kind of just 'fell out' which means I didn't initially mix the home brew very well (at all). During the entire build I usually over mixed my mortar, entraining slit of air into their to ensure all granules were sufficiently hydrated. This small oversight was certainly my fault. Too bad it was front and center. Oh we'll.

Your oven was artfully cobstructed, and to tell you the truth, your crack is barely noticeable. You'll get many, many enjoyable meals out of it. Kudos on a job well done.

John

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Congrats on firing your oven and cooking that first pizza. Your build is a inspiration to all.

Sorry about that first crack.... although I see you have made the repair. My first crack very similar to yours, happened with those flame lapping out with the fire close to the front. Since then I've been a little easier on heat up. My crack has not grown and has since filled with soot, so I'm not to worried. Hope your repair works and keeps that bugger away........I may try the same.

Ps. My crack is a lot bigger with a greater temperature differential.
    Last edited by kbartman; 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM. Reason: added my crack photos

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thank you Russel, Chip, Chris, and Dennis, for your supportive words now and along the way. Colin, I feel like I was there building your oven along with you and confess I like looking at your oven (and the interior colored rings as well as the Yin/Yang plug) the most.

Look at all the tapered arches you have inspired
    When I first posted my arch pics I wondered how many builders might follow suit. I was surprised to see how easily many builders jumped right in. Its cool when a simple design change also solves arch placement and dreaded-droop challenges.

Chip - You're right. The 120F was read off the back of the flue, but the fires were probably too small to generate any real heat. I'll test this theory in the next few days, after my crack-repair job has a chance to cure a little. (pics below). I did the repair really quickly (on a warm oven) so won't be surprised if I have to re-do it later.

Every time I look at that pic of the first pizza I think its cooking on a kitchen floor! Weird! I'm curious how hot I can get the floor and really anxious to find out how it performs baking bread once it has been fully saturated and the oven/floor equalized.

Sorry - it has been 75-80F here (82F on Xmas day!) and doesn't feel like winter. The local mountains have NO snow on them which hasn't happened in a long, long time. It must be nice to know that every ounce of insulation you wrapped around your oven pays huge dividends in the worst temps.

Hey Jeff - Welcome to the Forum and if you have any questions on your design, just ask. I can help point you in the direction for local supplies if you want. Be sure to read through the FB Pompeii oven plans (if you want to build a round oven) and plan to over-insulate from the start!

John

Leave a comment:

• bodisafa
    replied

Hi John,

I live in Los Angeles and have started building designs for my Pompeii oven. Your build is so inspirational to me.

- Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X