Genovese building Pompei in Birmingham UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genovese building Pompei in Birmingham UK

As I said in the introduction thread here is the corner of the garden where I would like to build the Pompei oven,

Re: Genovese building Pompei in Birmingham UK

Hi all again...should I say buongiorno a tutti lol

I'have began with the building starting ffrom the foundation, I was looking at the plans for the pompei oven and I really don't understand the dome/brick vent building part. I'm not a super bricky lol
    Could someone help me understand how to build/attach the dome onto the arched brick vent please, there is a photo but I don't understand it very well, practically when you arrive at the arch vent, do you cut the brick in a way to keep the dome brick line levelled?

And

How do you do the recess for the door?

Please help

Many thanks
    Marco

Comment

There's a lot of different ways of doing the entry to dome transition. If you point us to what you're looking at, and don't understand, we should be able to help.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

It will get easier to understand with time. If you build your oven as per the plans, when you get to the point where the arch and dome meet you will be able to see the way the bricks need to shaped to achieve a good joint and maintain a close to circle shape (it will never be perfect). I used polystyrene foam as something I could shape as a brick and then transposed the angles to a real brick before I cut the brick. Don't be frightened, there will always be an answer here to help.

Comment

Marco, I was also worried about the transition and how the bricks would fit. When it came to it, fitting the dome bricks to the arch was a little fiddly, as there was a lot more cutting, at least for me, but it went together without too much difficulty. I suspect that if you follow the basic design of the hemispherical Pompeii, as I did, you wont have too many problems. Just to reiterate other comments it won't be perfect!

As far as the door recess, I'n sure there are different ways of doing it but I built the outer arch and vertical vent walls about 20mm outside the inner arch brick line if that makes sense.

There are some pictures on my blog which might help you visualise how it fits together.

Good luck
          TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Hi all,

I encoutered the first problem.....oh dear and I'm only at the foundation. Unfortunally the floor foundation are only 1.50mt depth and 1.30mt width, already we know that we can't build a 36 inch oven if we assume that the oven floor with be that measures.
              I have seen in the past in italy the over hanging oven floor, assuming that the oven stand will me 1.3mt x 1.5 mt, I could do a overhanging oven floor, with a hanging of about 0.15mt at the sides and 0.3mt at the rear and nothing at the front, using 1/4inch re-bar and 1/2 inch bar. This way should give me a oven floor of 1.6mt x 1.8mt (64 inches x 72 inches).
              If you see from the photoes the oven will be build into the garden earth so de sides will be suported by earth, plus the steel. My intention its to bend the steel in a L shape, and sink one every other hole in the concrete blocks, on the 3 sides, then to tie it up to the horizontal steel that forms the oven floor.
              Questions:
              Do you think that its a good idea?
              will the steel be strong enough?

Helllllllllllllpppppppppppppppp
              Thanks

Comment

Rough sketch of the overhanging steel idea

Comment

I'm no structural engineer and hopefully you will get a response from one, but I don't see this as a problem, particularly because of the relatively small extensions you are proposing.

In reality the brick part of the dome will be either on (at both sides) or slightly over (at the back), and it is only the relatively lighter building components ie thermal blanket and vermicrete that might be exerting force on the extension and even then not all of it because of the circular shape. If you want to add a little more structural support you could add an extra length of rebar but I personally don't think it's really necessary.
                  TonyB

Comment

Hi Tony,

How big its your oven? whats that tool?

Comment

My oven size is 42" internal diameter.

I think the tool you're referring to is a jig or what's called here a 'dome gauge' as described in these 2 threads:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/h...ea-2573-3.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

Or at least its my simple interpretation of those two tools using some wood, a hinge and a few little bits of metal hardware I bought from a diy store. I certainly found it useful in getting a good (not perfect) dome shape for the first 6 or 7 rows and then had to revert to a wood and polystyrene form. for the last few rows.
                      TonyB

Comment

Working...
                      X