Flue Design to Simple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flue Design to Simple?

The flue tiles I have are one 8"x13" and one 8"x8". How bad would it be to have a simple plug topper for the transition from 8x13 to 8x8? I would cut the outline of the brick out to match the curve of the flue tile.

Just wondering if the gasses hitting the flat ledges on both sides would cause to much disturbance in the flue? Anyone have done something like this?

The reason I like this is it's simple and I don't have to taper the flue tile by cutting it which means no seam to possibly crack.
    My Build Thread

Re: Flue Design to Simple?

Frankly, I don't see a problem with this approach. Sure, airflow will be more turbulent, but it is far enough up the stack where I doubt it will cause much of a problem. Smoke will find it's way out. You may have a problem with excess soot build up at the shoulders. After having my seam crack, this might not be a bad idea. Having said that, I know nothing about chimneys, better wait for others to pipe in!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Over at the masonry heater site, their fireboxes taper up to the start of the flue system. There was discussion if it were worth it to taper the bricks that make up this slope, or to let them remain in the zig zag shape. I think the conclusion was that it wasn't worth it to taper the bricks.

That said, masonry heaters are inside, used in cold weather, and attached to 1 1/2 or two story chimneys. We're working with less in terms of draw.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I also will be using the entire inside available opening space on the 8x13" flue tile, which is 6 3/4"x11 1/2" to make the beginning of the flue area. I also plan on making the sides angled to the throat of the flue tile too.

So, I am looking at 6 3/4" deep by 11 1/2" wide at the beginning of the flue, but wedged shape below it to guide the gasses into it. Then 2' up the flue both sides would have a 2" block and the 8x8 tile would take it 2' further up topped by a spark arresting cap.

Can the flue tiles simply be wrapped in ceramic blanket and topped with stucco?

Thanks so much. This project really has gotten a bit out of control. Sort of like a snowball rolling downhill.
        My Build Thread

Comment

I am in Australia and I cannot find a supplier of the flue pipes that are the shape you are using. I would love to know where I can but pipes shaped like that, instead of round, in Australia if any one can help?

Comment

Working...
          X