Finally closed my oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally closed my oven!

I finally closed the beast today! I finished the dome with two bricks that when put side by side made the shape of a cone with the top cut off. I forgot to take pics but when turned upside down the plug fitted neatly into the top of the dome. I did the whole dome without any formwork, I used a stick cut to 50cm and a piece of 3mm ply with a 25mm nail sticking up through the centre as my guide. The whole thing so far has taken me 6 mnths but the slow going has been worth it so far.
    Now, how long do I wait before I start curing the beast? I am going to get the blanket on Monday and will wrap it just before I start to cure the oven.
    It is my son's birthday on the 18/8 and I am wondering if it will be possible to cook a pizza by then.

My build so far
    Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven

Re: Finally closed my oven!

Awsome work, brick work looks really neat. I have just closed up my oven too and I know how exciting it is.
    You should have no worries having pizzas by the 18th August.

I finished my dome on sunday and letting it sit for a week to fully cure then a week of fires. Planning on pizzas for my birthday which is the 24th July.

Cheers
    James
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Do you think a week is long enough to set the mortar? What type of mortar did you use? There is only one supplier in Sydney (Field Furnace Refractories)
      Field Furnace Refractories and I bought their mortar which is a dry mix that air dries but in these temperatures they recomend a 2 to 3 week setting period.

Comment

I used the DIY fireclay mortar and from what i have read 1 week is enough but I am sure there are others who have used premix stuff might be able to give more insight.
        Real men cook with fire
        My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

I was hoping to finish my entry arch tomorrow but it is pissing down right now and I have a feeling it aint gunna stop before Sunday. The only good thing is my water tanks will get a good top up.

Comment

It turned out a good day after the rain and I have made a lot of progress on the arch. I still have to mortar in the bullnose brick course on the outside of the arch and build a chimney box but it is not far away now. In the pics you can see where the bullnose are going because I have a piece of one sitting there. I need some thoughts on how long I need to wait before I can start the curing fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
              I finally closed the beast today!

My build so far
              Great pics, that oven is shaping up fantastic!

Comment

Thanks, I have done a little more and should be able to set the chimney in place next Saturday. I have nearly finished my arch now so things are moving along just fine.

Comment

Go Rodney.

Looks cool. I like those dark bricks with the rounded edges.

You may get some cracking when you fire it up. Don't worry, the solution usually makes itself evident. Make sure you post after the first couple of fires.

Lars.
                  This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Looking great. Closed mine up Saturday and started the external arch yesterday. what a great feeling. I also started mine in January so 6 months seems abourt right ;-).

I am going to let mine sit for 2-3 weeks before the first fire. I am afraid if I start cooking pizzas, I won't finish the outside; like many of our colleagues online here.
                    Greg Geisen
                    Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Thanks for sharing the GREAT photos. I'm just at the 'dreaming of building a WFO' stage and appreciate all of the information shared at this site.

Comment

Stop dreaming and start building! You will find like all of us that the build is like a drug that you just can't stay away from. I like many have been seen outside in the middle of winter (not as cold as your winters but 3C is cold enough) with a miners light on cleaning mortar joints or measuring the angles for the next course. You will get hooked.

Comment

Well the day that I can say I have finished my brickwork has finally come. The chimney is in, the arch is done and all I need is to insulate before I start to cure. I spent all day on the golf course with my son today and it felt good to walk away from the oven knowing I have done the best I can. Only time will tell if it all works OK and does what it supposed to do.
                          The bricks I used came from a 90 yr old fence and I have had to clean the mortar from them before I could use them, so it has been quite a time consuming task to get to this point. I started this build on the 28th Dec 2008 and it has taken till today to finish the brickwork.

Comment

I have spent all day on the back of a trowel spreading render and I think it is looking OK. I used a product called Silasec as a water proofing additive for the render but I am wondering if that will slow down the release of water/steam during curing process. I am also wondering if any Australians can give me some ideas on the type of flour that is available locally for use in the dough base.
                            Check out the build pics

Comment

Rodney
                              Looks awesome. great job. your dome final coat is a great color and so even. Another one for the photo books.
                              Greg
                              Greg Geisen
                              Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                              X