Dome construction/Gap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome construction/Gap Question

In doing lots of reading beofre I begin construction I thought I read that there could be no gaps in the dome between the bricks.. But reading and looking ate the GREAT pics posted I notice there are gaps and people say they are not a big deal.
    I assume we want the gaps as small as possible but which is better.. no gaps or gaps with motar in them ... which is stronger?

gaps

Originally posted by mrpbjnance
    In doing lots of reading beofre I begin construction I thought I read that there could be no gaps in the dome between the bricks.. But reading and looking ate the GREAT pics posted I notice there are gaps and people say they are not a big deal.
    I assume we want the gaps as small as possible but which is better.. no gaps or gaps with motar in them ... which is stronger?
    There is no denying that a gap-free dome is stronger, more efficient, and resistant to cracking, but building a hemisphere out of square blocks without gaps is an every-block-cut proposition. The pompeii is designed for amateur bricklayers, originally done without any cutting except for halving bricks. There are gaps, particularly as you get to the top of the dome. We've heard of them cracking, but never one collapse.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X