Waterproofing Stucco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing Stucco

What product has everyone used to waterproof their stucco? Has anyone used Thompson's Water Sealer? Drylok Paint? Latex-based color-in stucco? Does anyone know where to purchase Latex-based color-in stucco?
    Thank you for your help.

Stephen

Picasa Web Albums - STidik

"pizza is suffused with the good feeling everyone has because they're together" Chris Bianco
    Stephen
    San Luis Obispo

"Pizza is suffused with the good feelings everyone has because they're together," Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco.

My Picasa Album

Re: Waterproofing Stucco

I always thought 'real' stucco, like the type you applied to your dome, is already waterproof. Anyone out there to dispute this? Am I wrong in thinking this? (A stucco home doesn't leak, etc.)
    Rick
    View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

(A stucco home doesn't leak, etc.)
      A stucco home doesn't have a stucco roof.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Stucco is water-resistant, not necessarily waterproof. Anyone who has owned a stucco house knows it cracks, and the cracks must be filled to prevent water seepage (though there are acrylic-based coatings/paint out there that can help). Besides, any house with stucco will be wrapped in a waterproof barrier before the stucco is applied.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried using Tyvek, or a similar wrap, on the outside of their insulation, but inside the stucco coat? Just curious, since it allows water vapor to exit, but blocks liquid water from entering, and being on the outside of the dome insulation, it should not get hot...

Comment

Thanks for the above replies. I did wrap the FB blanket with aluminum foil prior to applying stucco. I still would like to waterproof the stucco as best as possible. Does anyone have experience with a specific product they can recommend?

Thanks again for your help.
          Last edited by stidik; 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM.
          Stephen
          San Luis Obispo

"Pizza is suffused with the good feelings everyone has because they're together," Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco.

My Picasa Album

Comment

I've gone ahead and painted my dome with 2 coats of Drylok paint. Since the Drylok can only be mixed as a light color, I will need to paint the dome with a latex based paint to get it back to it's original black color.

I did find an old post advising a latex based stucco from Sto Hard Stucco Products at Stocorp.com. By not using a latex based stucco, I've performed a lot of extra work.
            Stephen
            San Luis Obispo

My Picasa Album

Comment

Stephen,
              I have been doing a bit of stucco over the years. It's basically mortar. It very absorbent, yet very water resistant. In other words, it allows moisture to pass through. I put a scratch coat and a brown coat on my oven, then smoothed out the 'brown' coat. It sheds water really well. I could put on a colored finish coat, but, for that, I should probably have left it a 'brushed' finish... to accept another coat.

Personally, I am not too worried about the stucco letting in water, but if you just paint it, ( latex house paint) of some sort, it would keep out water ( provided no large cracks) for a long time.

I may even use rubber membrane on part of mine. I haven't decided how much will be buried ( mine is kind of built into a hill). That WILL NEVER leak. Still working on cabinets and a retaining wall on either side, so...

I have not had ANY noticeable heat on the outside of the dome during firing, so I may end up using the membrane. If you wanted black that might have been a great choice. Be careful though. Takes several months for the rubber smell to dissipate.

Lars.
              Last edited by Lars; 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: addphoto
              This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Stephen - the stucco on your dome is incredibly even and smooth. I will use your photos as reference when I get to that point.

How are you planning to finish the counter top?

Cheers,
                Stephen

Comment

Dome looks great. I wouldn't worry to much about the stucco being waterproof. you don't look like you will have any standing water and most should run off. I good coat or two of an exterior latex paint should do it.
                  Greg
                  Greg Geisen
                  Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

I need some advice on stucco and freezing conditions. I read that it's not recommended to use stucco if winters are cold.

What is the problem?

Will the stucco freeze and crack or will the oven (bricks and mortar joints) be damaged?

I can live with redoing cracked stucco every now and then but will of course want to avoid the oven falling in on itself.
                    Let's keep it metric

Comment

Any help on the question above? Lots of people dissuade from using stucco in frosty conditions, why is that exactly?
                      Let's keep it metric

Comment

Working...
                      X