Fireclay Suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireclay Suppliers

Has anyone found a good supplier of fireclay in the Salt Lake City area?

Thanks

Freddie

Re: Fireclay Suppliers

Try a potter's supply.
    -David

Comment

Thanks Gromit - that worked. I had been trying fireclay, pottery supply, kiln, clay, etc. but none were returning suppliers of fireclay.

Comment

you might also try "industrial firebrick"

Comment

So where did you find it. I've had more than my share of trouble finding suppliers in Utah. I bought firebrick from Lehi Block because I was buying pavers from them and they could deliver it at the same time. When I went back for more (I underestimated about everything), they told me they only carry splits now and that everyone is going to splits exclusively. Buhener Block is now my source for firebrick and flue liner. I struck out finding refractory mortar. Buhener has the stuff in the tub, but that won't work. I ended up calling the Heatstop manufacturer to ask who their dealer is in Utah, and they ended up just giving me a good price and shipped it to me. Unfortunately, I need another bag.

Joe
          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

I found it at Capital Ceramics on 2174 S. Main in Salt Lake City. For some odd reason it was cheaper to buy a 50 lb. bag rather than 25 lbs.

For everything else I ordered the Pompeii 110 kit from Forno Bravo. I had a hard time finding anyone who carries Heat Stop or any type of high heat mortar. I figured by the time I ordered some stuff from FB and bought other things around town it was only $100 more to get the whole kit from FB. I decided the kit was worth it so that I would be sure to have all the right supplies.

The kit should be here in a week or two. Judging on how slowly this whole project has gone so far I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get this done before winter sets in.

Comment

Wow are you guys all in SLC area?
              I am in Santaquin.
              I found Fire Clay for 15$/ Bag at Harbison-walker.
              Also, they have refractory morter but I bought mine from Larson Foundry Supply

Comment

I'm in Kaysville. Is your oven complete, or are you still working on it?
                Joe

Comment

I have just started the vent arch.
                  My thread is http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...uild-7267.html

Comment

I'm in the middle between the two of you - Draper. I couldn't find any local suppliers of refractory mortar and that was a big factor in deciding to order the kit from FB. Maybe a bit more expensive that way, but I still think (hope) that was a good decision.

As soon as the bricks get delivered I'll start with the insulating panels, floor, etc. I started this spring expecting to be serving pizza by now, but I'm now wondering if I'll even finish the dome before it gets too cold. This whole project has been a lot slower than I expected. I just don't want to have to wait all winter to finish it next spring.

Comment

I am with you there! I am really starting to feel the pinch. I am determined to have this thing fired up before the weather turns.

Comment

Ben, I have 8 courses up. I haven't had to use anything yet to keep the bricks from sliding off, but I expect that to change tomorrow.

Freddie, getting the kit was a good idea. I didn't know about it until you mentioned it. I'm not sure it's enough mortar, unless you cut the bricks on all sides. And then you probably don't have enough bricks.

Joe
                        Joe

Comment

Hmmm... That's good to know about the mortar and bricks. I've been debating how to cut the brick. Dino shows on his thread how he cut his brick into thirds to reduce the amount of mortar used. I was planning on doing something similar, but I want to make sure I don't run out of brick by doing so. The Pompeii 110 kit is designed for a 42" oven. Mine will be only 39" so maybe the extra mortar and brick will work out just right.

Comment

I wish I was reading this forum ealier. I have a extra 50 lb bag of fire clay I could have sold you. Also you can buy refractories from:

Harbison-Walker Refractories
                            4521 West 1980 South
                            Suite 503
                            Salt Lake City, UT 84104-4719
                            801-886-0545

I just finished my oven couple weeks ago. Best money I ever spent.

Frank

Comment

Frank, where are you? I'm trying to keep track of all of the Utah ovens. I may start a thread for Utah ovens.

Joe
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X