Dome completed and front arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome completed and front arch

We finally completed the dome and front arch. We started on the chimney and should be through tonight. What our plans are is to frome out up to the back of the front wall of the oven. We will use cement board and stucco with a nice Tuscan color. We have purposely made a hearth that has more room in back because that is going to be a small closet that will house our peels and misc. There will be electric as well so we can have an espresso machine and gelato machine working if need be. The very top of the dome is not round but I don't think the pizza will mind. We started a 1 paper fire to check the draw on the flue. It works absolutly great. It's amaaing the heat that you can feel in the upper chamber with just that one piece. Looking forward to having this completed by Labor Day. Will send more piz as we get to the enclosure phase.
    G

Re: Dome completed and front arch

Beautiful brick work!!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thank you. When we get through we will clean the outside brick and it is time for the enclosure. That is going to feel like we are doing fine furniture compared to masonry. We have a new found appreciation for all the masons.....hard work!
      G

Comment

Good looking keystone! I like the radius on top. Great work.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks a lot. That was a 4" stone left over from my brothers fireplace from about 25years ago. We propped it up and traced the radius and then started cutting. It works well. We were going to try and find the bull nose clay tiles that you see on some of the ovens that are used for the countertop in front of the arch opening but our supply house said he thinks there is a minimum amount of pieces you have to buy. We have to fill an area that is 12" x 65". What we found was they have slate that is 2" x 12" x 60" with a bull nose. It is going to work really well and save us from having mortar joints. The piece is $82.00 and well worth it. Will send more pix when we get that in.
          G

Comment

I love it!!!

Finally getting to use stone that's been hanging around the house for 25 years.

Priceless

Especially if you got to buy some new tools to make use of that old stone.

It's looking great.

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks a lot Christo. We are using a $19.95 angle grinder that I had laying around, a circular saw with a diamond 7" blade, a wet saw from Home Depot I had from tileing several floors and chisels. Building this is a blast. It definatly keeps you thinking. We pleased the way it is turning out. Of course now that the hard part is done we know where we could have done things differently but that is always the case.
              Thanks again and will post more pix of the enclosure going up.
              G

Comment

Working...
              X