Chimney & Flue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney & Flue

Sat I figured I would be creative and use my $19.95 angle grinder. I cut a 13" x 13" x 24" flue that I had left over from my house since 1976. I cut it in half, drew out the cut out arches and went to town. I tried to cut out the arches in one sweep but even though it was only about 1.5" thick as you got to the top of the arch and deeper you had to tilt the blade and couldn't really do a complete cut through. Banging out the cut out was unsuccessful. What I ended up doing was make all straight cut throughs and get as close to the arch line as possible. Once that was done I cut perpendicular to the line and then nibbled away with the grinder. To smooth everything out I just held the blade at a 45deg. angle to the arch opening and went lightly back and forth as you would a sander. I was pleased. I had the stainless screen to an airconditioning unit I just had replaced. I cut that to fit on the inside of the flue and bent it around to the curve. Started the wall and my brother and I will finish the others tonight after work. Days are getting a little shorter so we try and sneak a little time in the morning.
    G

Re: Chimney & Flue

That's a VERY cool chimney cap. I like your tall chimney, too, you should have no problem with draw.

Great work!
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thank you. Lit a couple paper fires and it sounds like a bassey jet plane. Draws real well. We purposely tried to get the fire smokey to see the draw and it shots straight up without curling on the outside.
      G

Comment

Mr G.

I may have to quit following your thread. I'm starting to get seriously jealous! Your oven just get's cooler and cooler.

Ken
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
        X