cost of firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of firebrick

I would be interested in knowing what people are paying for firebrick??? There is only one place near me that sells them, and I payed $2.70 per brick.

Re: cost of firebrick

We got our firebrick for $.99 each. $2.70 sounds very high.
    G

Comment

Prices vary a lot regionally. Something like $1.25 would be more typical. $0.99 is unusually good & $2.70 is high.

Comment

I paid $1.20 ea. Make sure they are not High or Medium duty brick. You want low duty brick (composition is different)

Comment

$.95 for low duty. Another supplier a few miles away had $1.35 and yet another had it for $1.32.

Comment

I believe I paid $1.35 each. But i was quoted prices as high as $2.75 for the same brick.

However, if you have a manufacturer nearby you may be Ble to buy seconds for $0.30 each.
            I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking. --- Julia Child

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattluttropp

Comment

A quick google maps search shows a half a dozen mason material suppliers in Eugene. I can't imagine there's only one place that sells firebrick. It also shows dozens in portland: It may pay you to go a little farther afield.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Mutual Materials in the Portland area has them at $1.38

Comment

right around $2. only one supplier around here.

Comment

two words.....due diligence. Just like everything else, you have to call, (or drive) around, or check the internet if you are really looking to save. I think alot of new builders just don't know where to look and jump at the first place that stocks what they need (after all, this is new and out of there normal comfort zone)......you have brick yards, "construction suppliers", refractory suppliers, pottery/ceramic suppliers and even the "big box" retailers who could all possibly stock or order firebrick and mortar.....and the prices will run all over the board between them.

RT

Comment

You should see if there is an O & G Industries anywhere in your area or the surrounding areas. They are a hugh company and their prices are really great. There are 4 around our area. 2 are 25mins away and the others are about the same but in the opposite direction. They carry everything imaginable. Decorative round flues, thin stone, Heat Stop ($50..00/50lbs). Give them a Google search.
                      G

Comment

Update. I guess I should have checked Google first. O & G Industries is strictly in the Northeast.

Comment

So now I'm confused...Do you want medium or low firebricks? The masonry supplier here in Eugene told me that all firebrick was the same. I'm fairly sure they sold me high duty firebrick, at 2.77 each. I'm frustrated with them, because they sell Clayborn firebrick and they don't know zip about the product. Their reply was "return it if you want to..." I am going to return it and will probably have to go up to Portland to find the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by briot View Post
                            So now I'm confused...Do you want medium or low firebricks?
                            All firebrick is not the same. You want "dense, low duty" firebrick for a brick oven. Or perhaps easier, you want a firebrick that is 25 - 40% alumina. A normal 9x4.5x2.5" firebrick should weigh about 7 - 8 pounds. If it only weighs 4 pounds or so it's the wrong type (insulating firebrick).

If they are selling Clayburn products at your dealer, you want their "Flame" product. The data sheet is here -
                            http://www.clayburngroup.com/td%20Flame.pdf

Comment

Don't blame you returning them That price is very high.

Comment

Working...
                              X