gaps in floor brick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaps in floor brick.

For the floor, how vital is any gaping between bricks? I used the fireclay/sand mix over the perlite/cement layer and I'm pretty certain that at times some of the fireclay/sand mix wedged between bricks, making the gap. The gaps are not huge, but there are places where they are not touching. Since I have not begun the soldier course and as the fireclay/sand mix has no mortar, it would be a nuisance but not outrageous to just start over. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Kim

Re: gaps in floor brick.

the gaps will fill with ash as will the gap between the soldiers and the floor and will keep the bricks from moving around too much. no big deal.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. My floor bricks started out really tight, but have loosened quite a bit during the dome construction phase. Some of the gaps are approaching 1/8" thick.

What about pouring a tiny amount of thinly mixed refractory morter in the larger gaps (that I can reach) , or should I just let them be?

Comment

Leave them be: your gaps will fill with ash. The only floor problem you will ever notice is a proud brick that catches the peel, and you can just kiss the edge of that with a angle grinder.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Like Lauren Hutton, I'm leaving the gap. Thanks all.
          Kim

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            I already did the belt sander thing to smooth things out. It's amazing how "soft" firebrick is......

Comment

Working...
            X