Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to locate oven in relation to overhead trees

Hi,
    I would guess the variables is this situation are huge, but with a 42" oven has anyone had experience with what the window of effect on killing vegetation in overhead trees would be(height as well as width and breath). I realize the best place would not be under trees but that is my only choice.

How bad will the trees affect draft?

Have people used some sort of diffuser?

Thanks, Martin

Re: How to locate oven in relation to overhead trees

i don't think its a giant concern. the heat should dissapate very quickly once it leaves the oven. I'm sure its not a giant threat to any overhanging vegetation.

Comment

You should have a good spark screen and may want to clear branches that are TOO close (but nature has a way of dealing with that!). You want to make sure you meet any local codes for if you don't and you start a fire the liability would not be nice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies; I guess I should have given more info. The oven would be at the edge of a mature hardwood woods in Indiana. Most of the trees are any where from 16"-32" in diameter and 100' - 150' tall. The tree nearest would have branches 10' - 12' above the chimney top. I am not so worried about it catching fire as killing large parts of it as it is a hard maple and brilliant gold in the fall.

Comment

You sound pretty safe! If the tree gets too hot it will simply lose leaves on the affected branches and (unless heated repeatedly and often) grow back. I don't think you will have any problems.
          Jay

Comment

I don't think you have any worries. I have a palm tree on one side with fronds that droop within about 6-8 ft of my cap and spark arrester; also a laurel oak off the back right corner with branches again within 6-8 ft...........never even scorched a leaf. I would not recommend having trees this close (I'm always looking up when I have a big fire going). My oven pretty much had to go where it is and I didn't want to cut anything back that I didn't have too.
            Unless you build a huge fire directly under your flue and have actual flames shooting out the top, I don't think much will happen.

RT

Comment

As a side note.....that hard maple sure would burn nicely inside the oven

RT

Comment

I have a chiminea directly under a flowering tulip tree, The lowest branch is about 15 feet up. I have had it there for at least 10 years.... I build some wicked fires in that thing, and have honestly never had a problem with the tree..
                I wouldnt worry,, Check out the pic and you will see what i mean,
                Mark
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback. Hoop #1 hopped thru in the planning process.

Now I need to figure out how to incorporate a smoker and a spit roast capable fireplace into a corner positioned oven design.
                  Martin

Comment

What part of Indiana?

Comment

spit roast capable fireplace
                      There are worse ways of doing this than putting a bearing in the back of your dome, and having the spit come out the front. Unlike an outdoor fireplace you can be pretty sure that your oven is going to vent properly.

Smoker? No help from me. I think a NC pit roast barbeque is a sorry thing to do to a piece of meat.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm from Terre Haute.

I wanted to make the fire place spit capable for the occasional pig roast. Not too big maybe 150# on the hoof.

Comment

Hoosier,
                          Im confused, Do you want the spit in the oven, Or are you building a seperate cooking area for it ?

I am thinking of building a side bar off my oven with a firepit/rotisserie. Im thinkin a 30 x 60 inch area for holding the wood/charcoal heat source, and buy a good rotisserie motor, I can do the metal work for the spit... Now to get it out of my head and onto the groud...
                          Mark

Comment

What I have in my head is a 42" oven at normal height, then where you often see a wood storage area, building a long shallow trapezoidal fire place that would allow me to have iron mounts in place. These iron mounts (think farm gate post mounts) would allow me to lift off the spit when not in use and put on black iron doors much like a wood stove.

These doors would serve as a smoke generating chamber. I would like to be able to use the oven above as a smoker/grill as well as oven.

Comment

Working...
                            X