Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i use just blanket for dome insulation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use just blanket for dome insulation.

I have bought a 7.3 metre roll of 600 wide by 25mm thick superwool insulation for the dome. Would three layers of this on the dome be enough insulation. I plan on stacking bluestone leaf on the exterior with mortar on the inside to bond the stone and weatherproof it.

Re: Can i use just blanket for dome insulation.

Three inches of the blanket should be fine. We look forward to seeing pictures of your bluestone structure...
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good plan 3G. In fact, FB is about to start recommending 3" of blanket for all installations, and the Pompeii Kit comes with 3" of blanket.

Ceramic blanket insulation works better, it's easier to transport and install, and the prices having come down to where 2" doesn't even cost more than 4" of vermiculite. It's the modern world. :-)

If you have any extra, use it on top. And make sure you overlap the seams.

Enjoy!
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks guys. Ill go with the 3 layers of blanket for the dome and vermiculite for the base.
        Cheers

Comment

I just covered my dome and used 4" on top and 2" on the sides of the 6# ceramic blanket. It seems to be working really well. The temps stay high and no rise in outside temperature.

Just for info sake, I set my hearth bricks on 1" SuperIsol board on top of 3 1/2" of perlite crete and the bottom of the structural pour underneath reads 110-120 degrees after pizza fire. I think it would be best to go with at least 2" of SuperIsol board.
          My Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 3G_ View Post
            I have bought a 7.3 metre roll of 600 wide by 25mm thick superwool insulation for the dome. Would three layers of this on the dome be enough insulation. I plan on stacking bluestone leaf on the exterior with mortar on the inside to bond the stone and weatherproof it.
            I'm looking for some small pieces of Superwool. I see that you purchased some to use in your oven. Do you have any scraps that you would be willing to sell? I don't need much and do not want to buy an entire roll. Thanks.

Comment

is 7.3m enough to wrap the oven 3 times ?

Comment

Working...
              X