3G_'s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G_'s Build

The base is nearly excavated. Its 1900mm wide 2100 deep with 350mm deep and 300 wide footings. Ill pour the slab about 150mm thick with 12mm rebar in it and SL62 mesh.
    No frost line here in Adelaide to worry about, but the clay soil is fairly reactive.
    Last edited by 3G_; 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM.

Re: 3G_'s Build

Wow! That is a footing.

I had a close encounter with a pickaxe this weekend, too. Glad it's over.

You're in good company over there in Adelaide. I've met some good people on this list over there and I'm proud to call them friends.

Welcome and keep the pics coming.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Have put some steel in, need to get some proper stands for the reo. Not the tidiest but should be strong enough, ended up being 500 deep footing with 150mm thick slab. Next job is to wheelbarrow 2 cubic metres of concrete in.

Comment

I spent the afternoon pouring the foundation. 1.8 cubic metres of concrete from the truck via wheelbarrow down the side of the house. Wasnt too bad, about an hour by myself.

Comment

good work.
          it's very nice.

Comment

Welcome to the world of New Muscles, During and After my build was done I had Pains in places I didnt think there were muscles..... It was way better than going to a gym though.
            Welcome,
            Good luck and keep going,,

Mark

Comment

Im getting the blocks in today and have to make the decision on the bricks. The cheapest i can get fire bricks is $3.30 each, red clay bricks are $0.70 each. I was about to go the clay bricks then pulled out at the last moment, still unsure!!

Comment

are they solid or do they have holes in them ? are they the ones called pressed reds ?

Comment

They are solid, 230x110x76mm.
                  Bit more progress today. Instead of a lintel i notched out the blocks and put two 1/2"rods inthe bottom and 1 1/2"rod along the top.

Comment

looking good so far 3g,,, good idea with the rebar

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                      looking good so far 3g,,, good idea with the rebar
                      I'm not to sure about that. Two pieces of two inch angle iron has a butt load more shear strength then rebar. 3G - did you run any calc's on the weight that this approach can support? It's hard to imagine the amount of weight, until you start dumping multiple bags of mortar, more bricks then you thought, and the final finish. This is just the static weight - you will be on top of it moving around.

Just a concern.

Les...
                      Last edited by Les; 09-19-2009, 08:49 PM.
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Yeah, i havent done any calcs on the forces being applied. I will definately beef up the rebar or go the lintel approach.
                        Cheers Les

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                          I'm not to sure about that
                          maybe, les has a valid concern, ? Im sure you could slip angle iron in or even build an arch under the opening for additional support ?

Comment

I think the lintel detail you are showing should be more than strong enough. Pull the bottom bars up a bit so that you get at least 1 inch of concrete under them. These bars should also be either bent down or horizontally into the walls at the ends for 12 inches or so.

Comment

I agree with Neil. Two half inch bars on the bottom should be more than strong enough as long as you bend them down into a wall.

matt
                              I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking. --- Julia Child

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattluttropp

Comment

Working...
                              X