3G_'s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G_'s Build

I have got a 3 ring gas burner inside the dome now. I have had it on the smallest inner ring for 12 hours. the internal temp is about 75 degrees c, will leave it at that for another 12 hours then maybe put the middle ring on.

Comment

It is quite safe to take the temp up to 200 C in 24 hrs. Most problems with steam cracking occur at around 300 C. 75 C will barely do anything. Potters often dry their wares in their kilns by leaving the pilot light on overnight. Using 10 kgs of heat beads is a cheaper alternative than a bbq gas bottle,but requires more constant attention to keep them alight.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I am using superwool blanket(25mm thick) insulation from Thermal ceramics. It looks like 2 rolls will give 2 layers for the bottom half of the dome and three layers at the top , Will this be enough?

Comment

bump .. anyone!!

Comment

Hi 3,,
            Thats about the same amount i used on a 42 inch oven.. then covered with 3 inches of vermicrete,, It works great for me... I can hold 400 degrees farenheit without fire overnight without a problem...

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 3G_ View Post
              I am using superwool blanket(25mm thick) insulation from Thermal ceramics. It looks like 2 rolls will give 2 layers for the bottom half of the dome and three layers at the top , Will this be enough?
              Hi

I also picked up 2 rolls of the Isolite Isowool Ceramic Blanket 7200x600x25.

I was advised that this will cover 3 full layers of the oven totaling 75mm.

According to the suppliers this should be ample and can be rendered straight on top with no further insulation needed. Not sure about that one though??
              John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Nearly done now.
                Have rendered the base and texture coated it. 3 to 4 layers of superwool insulation and 40mm of render to waterproof the dome. I might go the mosaic route for the dome, still undecided.
                I still havent cooked anything on it yet. I got a small crack thru the inner arch, the keystone brick. I cut the mortar out and am now doing a few more small fires to be extra sure.
                Looking forward to a pizza!

Comment

I love the solid stone arched entry. Way cool.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks. It was suprisingly easy to shape the stones to get a nice curve. Im getting a big solid block from the quarry tomorrow and ill shape/carve the stone to go from the arch to the 8" stainlss steel flue.
                    Cheers

Comment

I cooked for the second time tonight on the WFO. Got the sides and centre of the dome white for the first time, stoked.
                      Need to make a door and start making some bread and doing some slow cooking to avoid wasting all that heat.

Comment

Hi 3G,

Your oven is looking fantastic. I am still in my "gathering supplies" phase, can you tell me whether your two rolls of insulation was enough to get your three to four layers on your dome? Also, if you dont mind, the price you paid for it.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Hi

Cheers for the kind words.
                          Two rolls was perfect for the 100cm dome. The rolls came from thermal ceramics in Beverley SA at around $70 a roll. I managed to get 3 layers around the whole oven and after a big fire there is no noticable heat on the exterior of the dome.

Comment

Hey 3,
                            Oven looks great,, Im still considering the mosaic on my oven as well, I think i will use river stone.. they are 1-2 inches in size and kinda flat with rounded edges.. What are you thinking of using...
                            Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark

Im thinking of smashed up tiles, but to be honest i love the look of it now so it may stay natural.
                              Last night I started making my first ciabatta recipe, i need to fabricate a door then make some bread tonight, after pizza of course.

Comment

Thanks for that, also, would yo ube able to tell me where you got your firebricks from, having trouble tracking them down for a reasonable price here in Adelaide.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X