New Oven in Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Oven in Connecticut

Actually began the building process last Saturday, the 29th of August. The information gained on this website and in the forum is incredible. I find myself checking back and looking at pictures to make sure I am moving in the right direction. I think the beauty is in the fact that everyone brings their own ides to their build and i am sure that no twop ovens are exactly alike. I will be posting pictures in the next day or two.

JQ

Re: New Oven in Connecticut

Originally posted by redmen4 View Post
    I will be posting pictures in the next day or two.
    Please do. We're not too good with werds around here.
    -David

Comment

JQ,
      Congrats on the starting of your oven. We just got through with the top part of the enclosure and actually made our first pizzas last weekend. They were great and even better because they were made in an oven that my brother and I made. We are in CT as well and have several people around the corner from us that have ovens and we didn't even know it. FB is a fabulous source for everything you need. Everyone is indeed very helpful and willing to help out in every way.
      G

Comment

Here is the first photos. I am actually buiding the base up so the wood storage area is roughly the same height as my deck. The concrete patio is existing, 5 inches thick with rebar and wire mesh. It was actually done by the previous homeowner about 12*years ago. My daughter thinks she should be in every picture.

JQ

Comment

The first two levels of concrete block were mortared together to make the block level. The existing patio is sloped away from the house. Also drilled through the concrete patio to sink the rebar about two feet down. The second photo shows bringing the wood storage area up to the level of the deck.

Comment

Beginning the formwork for the concrete hearth. I had filled every other core of the concrete block with concrete and rebar. I used two sheets of half inch HardieBacker to support the concrete hearth. The front of the hearth is cantilvered 8 inches out in the center to about two inches on either side. The last photo shows the 7 levels of concrete block, the first three brought it to deck height. The last photo is also a Where is Waldo photo.

Comment

First photo is my father-in-law getting ready to start mixing concrete. Second photo shows the pour is almost done and my makeshift awning/cover. Third photo is for OSHA that all safety precautions were followed. After the pour covered the concrete with towels and wet them down. Will keep that up until this Saturday and I will remove the forms. Actually had pizza tonight and my wife commented that the local pizza place will be losing our business pretty soon, can't wait!

Comment

WFO pizza is truly the best. noticed you have drybonded your block walls. Quicrete Quickall Surface Bonding cement is used for just this type of application. it is spread on the inside and outside of the block walls to bond everything in place and iliminates mortaring in the blocks. We used it for stucco and it is excellent. We got it at Lowes. It comes in 50lb bags and you use Acrylic fortifier. You may want to look into that. We got it in the Orange store because not all the stores carry it. Looks like your daughter wants you to finish quickly so she can have pizza every week.
                G

Comment

Getting ready to lay out the 36 inch interior oven, couple of quick questions:

17 inch dome height, first soldier outside the floor with an angled cut
                  19 inch wide opening
                  11 inch high opening

Afe these dimensions okay??

JQ

Comment

Originally posted by mrgweeto View Post
                    . noticed you have drybonded your block walls. Quicrete Quickall Surface Bonding cement is used for just this type of application. it is spread on the inside and outside of the block walls to bond everything in place and iliminates mortaring in the blocks. We used it for stucco and it is excellent. We got it at Lowes. It comes in 50lb bags and you use Acrylic fortifier
                    I also used the surface bonding cement, loved it, I added the acrylic fortifier and color on the dome.... If you can Ice a cake you can use this stuff.. Looks like your doing a great jo so far and Inspector "daughter" is making sure of it

Good Luck and Enjoy
                    Mark

Comment

JQ,
                      Our oven is 42" so we have a 21.5" dome height a 20" opening and a 12.5" high arch opening. Because you are making a 36" oven that should be fine. Keep on going so you can beat the weather. Looking Good!!
                      G

Comment

Need some help. How do I determine the angle to cut my soldier course at? My oven is a 36 inch with an anticipated 17 inch dome height. The soldiers will be outside the oven floor. What angle to cut the soldiers at??

JQ

Comment

JQ,
                          Good luck! from a fellow Connecticut WFO/pizza lover!

Bob C
                          Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

JQ,
                            Our soldier course started on the floor but this will work for you as well. I took and made a cardboard template using 21.5 as my height 21 (half of the 42" oven diameter). You end up with a right angle. I then drew and arch 21 to 21.5 and cut it out. I stood that up and then put a piece of cardboard the smae height as my firebrick on end representing the soldier course and drew a line that gave me an angle closest to the start of the curve. Once I determined that I just used that as my angle template, set my saw to that angle and started cutting.
                            G

Comment

Here is some uodated pictures of the build.

1. Took towels off last Saturday to look at the slab and begin work on the floor. Not the best job on the slab but I think it will do.

2. Laid insulation board (Insblok 19, 3 inches) and started the floor work.

3. Pawn shop special, 8 inch wet saw.

4. Soldiers are all cut, hope to mortar tomorrow between soccer, Jets-Pats and whatever else may come up.

JQ

Comment

Working...
                              X