X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John K
    replied
    Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

In relation to the key stone I realise that this is probably going to be the hottest point of the oven. Due to the size of the keystone 1 brick is not big enough to cut and fit the keystone. I am thinking of joining 2 full fire bricks and rebate the inside edge leaving around 1inch at the bottom edge so the bricks can touch. The remainder of the rebated section will be filled with high temp mortar to form 1 brick. I will then cut out the required key stone.

Can anyone see an issue with this or recommend another alternative?

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    John, it looks great! Nice, clean construction! I look forward to the keystone!
    Thanks Mike

I'm also looking forward to the Key stone!! I just want to start on the chimney. I have an issue that the size of the hole left is to big for a single key stone and to small for another set of rings. I think I am going to set 2 full bricks Side by side and cut the key stone out of that unless someone twists my arm to do something else.

Originally posted by eprante View Post
    Very nice work John. Still have a circle. Keep up the good work.
    Eric
    Eric,

I'm also suprised that I still have a circle as I lost a bit of shape with the last arch transition brick but it looks like it came good in the end!!

Now to tackle the Key stone!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Very nice work John. Still have a circle. Keep up the good work.
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
    Hey John,

Fantastic looking oven! You are a very skilled builder. Can't wait to see the final product. Keep it up! How did you keep the last few courses from falling as the mortar is setting?

Raffy
    Thank you Raffy. It' has been fun but hard to find time to work on it.

In relation to holding it up I used a steel rod with a nut on it that gave me both the height and angle required for each coarse. The nut took the downward load and I just held each brick for a minute or so until it set enough to let go. Suprisingly it actualy holds!!.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

John, it looks great! Nice, clean construction! I look forward to the keystone!

Leave a comment:

• Raffy
    replied

Hey John,

Fantastic looking oven! You are a very skilled builder. Can't wait to see the final product. Keep it up! How did you keep the last few courses from falling as the mortar is setting?

Raffy

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Trying to clean up inside the oven!!

Its actually more spacious than you might think.
    Last edited by John K; 03-28-2010, 05:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Had a chance to work on the oven today and finished another ring!!

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Thanks for the info Dmun, Just thought I would try something different but will take your advice and not use the aluminium.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

You also create a vapor barrier that greatly slows the drying of your oven, and it's not like it is going to help keep your insulation dry on a long term basis, because the aluminum will rot out in contact with the caustic portland.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    There's really no need for foil. The blanket is entirely flexible, and any stucco that sticks to it will move with expansion.
    Hi dmun,

I was just thinking from the perspective that once the wet render comes in contact with the insulation blanket it will be absorbed to a certain extent and solidify. This in turn will reduce it's thermal qualities and be prone to cracking as it then becomes one.

By adding the aluminium foil you totally separate the insulation with the render.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

There's really no need for foil. The blanket is entirely flexible, and any stucco that sticks to it will move with expansion.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

I was thinking about the insulation blanket and final rendering of the dome and would like your thoughts on an idea.

What if I decided to wrap the insulation blanket which is installed around the dome with aluminium foil (Kitchen grade). Once fully wrapped with foil I only then apply the chicken wire and finishing concrete render/stucco.

My thought is to essentially provide a slip joint between the insulation blanket and external finished material to allow any movement of the fire bricks and blanket.

This should hypothetically reduce cracks that might otherwise appear.

Any thoughts on the above?

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    Hey John,
    Yor brickwork is so tight and neat it's almost a shame to cover it with insulation. You should be very proud, Great job
    Cheers
    Mark
    Thanks Mark

Being the first time I have worked with masonry I am fairly happy with the progress but not time spent.

To be honest looking at yours and others builds on the forum has helped along the way so without everyones help I would not be where I am today so thank you!!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    I especially appreciate the 1" reveal you cut in to the inner arch bricks instead of off-setting another arch in front for the reveal and I know how much work that is.

Have you decided yet on the vent material? You probably noticed how uncommitted I was in your post to me about it . I just don't know since I've never done this stuff before but have seen others do so well with clay pipe that I hate to bash it but i have such a nice experience with the SS duratech and I'm glad I bought it. Can't go wrong either way.
    Cheers, Dino

Thanks Dino

As you pointed out, a fair bit of work does go into that 1 inch reveal and to be honest I probably would not have done it until I saw you had run with the reveal, I thought it looked great so I thought I would base my opening on yours. Sorry!!

Still not sure about the vent yet. Im kinda thinking of building the flue out of the purple face brick you see in the photos (solid pressed brick) but not sure how well it will draw. I have been concentrating on my open grill to the right of the oven. I want to have this ready for Easter as I am going to be cooking a lamb on the spit!!. i can taste it already!!

Cheers
    Last edited by John K; 03-14-2010, 05:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X