chimney pipe/stove pipe questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney pipe/stove pipe questions

What size of pipe is recommended for the 42" oven?
    What about triple wall chimney pipe - will that work? It iis stainless steel.
    And how long should it be?
    It's "Metalbestos...Type SS-II"
    and it's 30" long. Could I use this?
    Cecelia
    Last edited by cecilB; 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM.

Re: chimney pipe/stove pipe questions

Cecelia,

Triple wall stainless steel will work fine -- it's a tad thick for what you get, but it will work.

What is the inside dimension? You want 8".
    Jmaes
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I can get it for 35 bucks! I am waiting to find out if the inner dimension is 8" - keeping my fingers crossed!
      Cecelia

Comment

What about chimney caps? I am using a clay (terra cotta) chimney - actually, an 8" thimble. I am assuming I'll need some sort of cap but what purpose does a cap serve and what do I need - as in MUST have? Do I need downdraft protection? Or just weather cover?

Comment

Carbon from your chimney will wash down the flue and end up on your landing if you don't have a chimney cap. It may help with downdrafts, but that's the main problem if you aren't providing a critter barier for an indoor oven.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

And a spark grate of course.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

So nothing fancy is required? Taken to a simple extreme, I could just place a non-combustible cover on top (above) the thimble, slap on a screen grate thing and, voila?

Sorry for the simple questions. I just need to understand why I do things, what I need to accomplish, before I move ahead. Once I understand I can make decisions based on whim and caprice if I'm so moved. So thanks. This oven building can get obsessive and this forum is just a brilliant collection of enablers.

Comment

Well, i didn't get the chimney pipe - oh well. I'll keep looking - but it's kinda expensive at FornoBravo - Is it that expensive everywhere?
                Where do you get the terra cotta chimney?
                Could we build a chimney out of brick?

Am I correct in saying there doesn't have to be an opening with a vent at all - of course the smoke would end up coming right out in your face, I suppose - not much different than my junk electric oven at the moment!

Comment

Carbon from your chimney will wash down the flue and end up on your landing if you don't have a chimney cap.

Comment

What about chimney caps? I am using a clay (terra cotta) chimney - actually, an 8" thimble.
                    my chimney pipe is waiting for me to repair.....

Comment

Working...
                    X