Freaking RAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaking RAIN!

I took Friday off to work on the final phase of my dome. I planned to cut firebricks all day so I could mortar them up on Saturday.

Thursday night we had a bad T-storm. Knocked out our electricity, so I could not cut bricks. Luckily, I borrowed a generator from a friend, and was able to cut one course of bricks.

On saturday I cut bricks all day. I planned to mortar them up Sunday.

It was raining Sunday Morning. Between that and a couple of Honey-Do errands I couldn't start mortaring until 3:00.

I was smearing the last layer of mortar on the dome ("frosting on the cake") when the rain started again. I was able to just finish and throw the tarp over the dome before it begain to rain hard for the rest of the night.

After dark, I noticed that the wind had blown the tarp away from part of the dome. Scheisse! I forgot to weigh down the tarp.

This morning I found that the rain had melted away some of the mortar on once side. No biggie; I can re-do it.

Between the windy rain, the soaking of the bricks for mortar adhesion, my entire dome is very wet. I've got a lot of drying out to do.

I'll post pix of the final phases in my other post.

Cheers,

- Fio
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Bummer,

We could use some of that rain out here in colorado, but don't send it until I finish my dome!
    Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray
      Bummer,

We could use some of that rain out here in colorado, but don't send it until I finish my dome!
      Drake
      Drake, you can bet if jjerrier and I are anywere in between you and Fio we'll take that rain!

Comment

rain

I don't have room for a free-standing oven in my yard, so I am having to dig footings next to the studio to support the structure and the chimney. I finished the three-foot-deep retangular hole a couple of weeks ago, and it's been wet weekends since. The hole fills up a lot faster than it percolates out.

The good news is that in the meantime I scored a truckload of free concrete blocks and 2x8s from craigslist. This week I got the 10 inch brick saw from Harbor Freight (I never saw dumber and ruder sales help in all my born days) and am still looking for a cheap or loan concrete mixer for my footings and slab.

It is summer. It's gotta dry out soon, even here in Jersey.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
        X