Oven build in Holland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven build in Holland

Hi all nice forum here, been silently observing for a while and pulling out ideas whenever I get stuck. Started my oven in March and I'm slowly seeing it come together.

I will post more build photos later but wanted any extra thoughts before I move further, can anyone tell me if using a single colum of vertical brick as the inner "door jam- arch" (see pictures) will be stong/big enough to support the inner arch?

Regards,

Kurt

Re: Oven build in Holland

I did mine like this.

I know others have done it differently. Not sure which is better.

I had a friend that lived in Holland prior to moving to Jakarta. He lived outside Amsterdam. We traveled all over your country chasing Walleye (Snookbaars). Great times. I miss it. Upper Holland reminds me of parts of Wisconsin. The weather is a bit milder though. Wisconsin in the fall, I'd say. He thought I was funny when I asked him about "ice fishing".

Comment

Thanks for the tip Birchell, I ended up using a whole brick anyways which I turned 90 degrees from the original photos. It works well. Are you currently building or is your oven finished? Will have to look for more of your posts.

Ive only lived in Holland since 95 but in that time have never seen or heard of anybody ice fishing. Must be the global warming, or maybe too many wood fired ovens!

Comment

That was the amusing part, to me and my friend. I assumed that there was ice fishing in Holland when I asked. The look he gave me was the best part. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to establish ice like we get here. So, no ice fishing there; never has been. Maybe in northern Germany though.

Anyway, I just finished my oven structurally and lit the first fire today. I did a few days of low temp propane drying (300-350 degrees) that really did a lot to dry it out. Today, we spent most of the time at 400 with a spike to 450 now and then. I'll do another short burn tomorrow before work.

http://rbirchell.com/Web%20Images/ad...b_IMG_2763.jpg

Looking good on your build. Are you doing a low dome? It looks like it from what I can tell. But, looks can be deceiving.

Bob

Comment

Clearly there was ice enough in the 17th century: can't vouch for fishing though.

www.codart.nl/news/267/
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

According to friend, they get just enough ice to make launching the boats interesting. Then they bust it up as they travel. The edges freeze but rarely the center. The lakes are more like widened rivers than what we call lakes here.

The 3 times I've fished there, in January and March. No ice. Brutal cold wind though.

But, I agree. "Never" was a bold statement on my part. Although, way back when, the whole country was essentially a flooded bog. Until they had their slaves dig the canals and build the sea wall. Later on, the fresh water fish from the Rhine, and other rivers, expanded in to the canals. The widened canals (or lakes) are major thoroughfares for cargo boats. They are like our Interstate Highways with Semi traffic. Interesting history there. Love the architecture too.

In fact, The first time I traveled there. I convinced my friend to take me in to Amsterdam for some sight seeing and such. As we wandered the streets, he found it very amusing as I walked past numerous half naked women in the windows of the red light district. I never even noticed; as I was fascinated by the buildings. I had to ask what was so funny.....

Comment

Fascinated by the buildings or completely off your head from the delicious coffee available here? Sounds like you need to pay better attention next time Birchell!

Anyway back to the oven story my dome is done, going to wait a week before starting the cure period. Hope to be cooking soon here are some recent pictures.
              Last edited by plootsnot; 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM.

Comment

more photos

Comment

and more photos

Comment

Quantities used so far for dome and isulating hearth:

-new fire bricks whole (floor and arch) 80
                    -recycled fire bicks halfs (dome) 240
                    -3,5x 25 kilo bags of Parex/Lanko refractory mortel 156
                    -floor was set using fire clay and sand mix 50/50 with a little water
                    - 2x 100 liter bags medium vermculiet 6/1 with portland
                    -lots of sweat and exhausted energy

Comment

Hi Plootsnot,,
                      Nice looking build, My only concern is that your arch is going to be very long, Are you able to see in the oven easily and add wood, Also reach in with tools and turn the pizza's sometimes the pictures can be deceiving and its hard to tell....

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. I dont know the answer this being my first build but it seems to be ok. If your commenting about the distance from the front tip of the "structuraal layer" to the middle of the oven yeah its a bit of a stretch, but when you stand next to the oven with that tip to your right (I'm right handed), Im actually closer than most people would be who have built a "shelf" in front of the landing. Will let you know once I get going. One thing for sure, crawling in there on my back was a major pain in the ass but shouldn't need to be doing that regularly if at all.

Regards,

Kurt

Comment

New pics of the 5th firing. Have a few hairline cracks now and the one at the very top of the dome is letting a small but steady amount of smoke or possibly steam thru. Wondering if this is going to be a problem?

Comment

Kurt,

My oven build that I have just started is similar to yours in that it is right in the corner of a fence. Did you have any particular method for working at the back of your dome where access is limited?

Paul
                            Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                            (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hi Paul,

My particular method was that I had recently built the fence and left the corner panels attached with only a few screws. They are removable! But in all fairness it was only neccessary to lift them out when we poured the structure hearth. I think that could have also been done from only two sides with a little more effort. As far as the dome, no I stood in the middle and added bricks around me until it got to small to stand in. Then I just stood on the landing and worked from there. You should be good, just get a good ladder and keep the beer count down while climbing. Just curious: XXXX or Victoria Bitter?

Enjoy!

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X