Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven Cooking surface!!

Hi guys,

I'm sure that you have been asked this question 100 times but hoping for some help or direction to an already established link.

Started laying my firebricks on my hearth but these are up to 2mm variance in height from 1 to another.

I was originally going to have these float (not set in place) between the oven walls but not sure if I can do this now.

1. Is there an alternative to get these flat without setting them in place
    2. If I need to set them what is the mix and thickness I use

PS I have utilised Insulation bricks rather than vermiculite. These can take 1300 degrees of direct flame as per my suppliers specs he provided me.

Any assistance would be appreciated

John's 42inch Aussie WFO
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html
    John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Re: Uneven Cooking surface!!

Hi John K,

A couple of thoughts for you...

First, the cooking floor will work fine even if the brick are not even, one to the next.

However, you do want them as even as possible.. It is more convenient, and looks better.

When I built my oven the approved technique was to set the fire brick as if you were installing tile: use a notched trowel, and lay a bed of fire clay and sand mixture, and set the fire brick into this mix. The bed of fire clay and sand can be either mixed wet, or dry. When you set the fire brick, you can then tap the fire brick down into this mix, and use this to even the brick, one to the next.

This technique worked fine.

And after the fact, if you end up with a really bad step between brick, you can get after the high point with an angle grinder and eliminate the edge.

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
      Hi John K,

When I built my oven the approved technique was to set the fire brick as if you were installing tile: use a notched trowel, and lay a bed of fire clay and sand mixture, and set the fire brick into this mix. The bed of fire clay and sand can be either mixed wet, or dry. When you set the fire brick, you can then tap the fire brick down into this mix, and use this to even the brick, one to the next.

This technique worked fine.

JED
      Is this still the approved technique?
      Cheers

Comment

Is this still the approved technique?
        Yep, either way works fine, set the bricks in the dry powder, tap to level, wet bricks to set,
        or lay a wet paste with the notched trowel and set the bricks like you would tile in thinset.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Guys,

Can I use High temp mortar? and if I can do I set the bricks in the dry powder alone or mixed with sand?
          John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Working...
          X