WFO progress in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO progress in Kansas

Well, it's been a while since I've checked in here, and it's been a while since I've actually gotten to work on the oven. I got one more ring up and after looking at the pictures, it seems kinda crooked. But I felt like I was getting the hang of it towards the end of the ring.
    I got the arch done a few weeks ago, but it got really cold and it came off in three places, so I got that repaired and the other ring up today. Now, the part that'll be hard will be where the arch joins the dome.
    But I'll think about that when I get to it....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	S7300001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	315675

Name:	S7300002.JPG
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	315676

Name:	S7300003.JPG
ID:	315677

Name:	S7300004.JPG
ID:	315678

Name:	S7300005.JPG
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	315679

There's a few more, so I'll send them along...

Re: WFO progress in Kansas

And here are the last two.
    The weather warmed up a lot today, so I took advantage of the warm breezy air - and all the disgusting gnats and "lady"bugs everywhere! Yeah - Kansas - as soon as the weather is nice enough to be out, there are bugs of all sorts - ick! At the end of summer it was BAD mosquitoes. But they're gone now. It's just swarms of gnats and beetles. You don't even want to open your mouth!

Name:	S7300006.JPG
ID:	277825

Name:	S7300007.JPG
ID:	277826

Comment

just swarms of gnats and beetles
      all the more reason to hurry up and get a fire going to keep all the bugs away !!!!
      Now, the part that'll be hard will be where the arch joins the dome.
      I thought that would be tough too.... When I got to that point and I had it right in front of me it worked out pretty easy.. easier to do when you can see it...

looks like your doing great so far,, so dont worry

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark.
        I worked a little on it today - "rigged" the area between the arch and dome (only on one side) - Am I correct in thinking that the mortar, made up of fireclay (same thing as firebricks are made of?), sand (which melts at the high heat?) lime and portland cement, once it's fired up enough, will be as good as fire bricks? I don't mean to say that I have huge gaps filled with the mortar, but I finally just globbed a bunch in in those small areas that had a wedge shape on one side and another on the other side and filled in with pieces of brick. My thinking is that as long as the inside of the oven is dome shaped, with as much brick touching brick as you can get, and enough insulation on the outside, everything will be fine. I hope I'm not being an "imperfectionist" - but sometimes you just have to get the job going!

Anyway, this'll probably be the last day to work on it for a while since it looks like rain for the rest of the week.

Also, I'm at the point on the dome, where I have to start cutting angles - ugh. I only got half a ring up today. Very slow progress, I must say. But at least I got SOMETHING done on it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Cecelia

Comment

I hope I'm not being an "imperfectionist" - but sometimes you just have to get the job going!
          ..... Remember it doesnt have to be pretty to cook pizza, as long as (like you said) you have it solid and it holds good heat,,, everything will be fine...

Keep in mind, that most of us here are Amateur Masons.... We do the best we can with our skills,, your doing fine,,,

As well I elect you to V.P. WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America.... To Join Just put it in your signature line.....All Members welcome

p.s. I am the president and only member..(hahah)

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

So, exactly how do you get to your signature line to put anything there?
            You have no idea how amatueur I am! I am a domestic goddess! I cook. I sew. I delegate chores to children and oversee homework and baths and bedtime and stuff like that.
            Anyway, I'm honored to be V.P. But not worthy, I don't think!

Cecelia

Comment

So, exactly how do you get to your signature line to put anything there?
              Hi VP... Just click on your name and go to (USER CP control panel) theres a section in there "signature line" type in what you want and there it is...

Cheers
              Mark

You are worthy......

Comment

I'm back at it today - it's cool and WINDY - I love Kansas! The forcast says breezy and whenever it says breezy it's WINDY. Well, it just makes the water feel warmer, that's all.

I DO NOT get doing all the angles cutting the bricks - I am going to try cutting very slight tapers on thirds of the bricks - maybe even fourths and just use smaller bricks to continue around the dome. I figure smaller bricks will be easier to fit, without have to fiddle with making compound angles and all that. I'm just going to try...
                Anyway...Kansas. I came in from working out there and there was this huge "assasin bug" on me - My daughter kept saying something stunk - and then she saw it - it was "GYNORMOUS!" gross. They stink. How disgusting!

So, back out to the wilderness I go.

Hey, if using smaller sizes is a mistake, please tell me!

Cecelia

Comment

I DO NOT get doing all the angles cutting the bricks
                  you dont have to get it... The only angles i cut on my bricks were on the soldier course and near the door,, You can easily build almost the whole oven using just half bricks without cutting angles.. you fill the back end with mortar, its not as neat and pretty but the inside will look nice and the back/outside will be covered with insulation and so on...

you can also cut wooden wedges to hold the angles,

hope this helps
                  Mark

Comment

The original plan was to be built with half bricks, cut with a brick set. Some of the ovens built like that look funky, particularly at the top, but they work just fine.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

you can also cut wooden wedges to hold the angles,
                      Ah yes, Mr. President, but that would require cutting angles. heh heh heh.
                      And I'm not as good with other kinds of saws, now, as I am with a wet saw!

I don't see how you get the inside edges to line up so close together using only half bricks.

I didn't cut the tops of my soldiers at angles, so I put wedge shaped half bricks on top - it looks sloppy - but, right, it'll be all closed up and no one will see the outside.

I got a little done yesterday - around the arch and a little bit on the dome. It was so windy! My son came out and cut bricks for around the arch as I needed him. What a guy!
                      Tomorrow supposed to be sunny, but a bit chilly - oh well, it'll just make the water seem nice and warm.

c

Comment

I used half bricks until I got to the last 5 rows or so. I switched to 3rds at that point.
                        It tightened the joints a bit. But the vertical joints will continue to get bigger unless you taper. I didn't taper and my oven looks fine on the inside.
                        And it cooks one helluva pizza.
                        Not to mention, steaks, ribs, brisket, turkey, bread, stuffed mushrooms, etc etc etc
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Well, thanks everyone -
                          We have had a perfect week of weather this week and unfortunately I have not been able to work on the oven.
                          Finally yesterday afternoon I went out and just cut some bricks for around that arch. That is my hurdle.
                          Then today I went out there and started looking around and cleaned out the inside of the oven of all debree - leaves, rocks, mortar - and put the indispensible tool in and the whole thing is just way too off...
                          Put it this way:
                          Two young mothers were walking by with their little babies and they asked me how it was coming. My reply was that it's like sewing: you sew some, and you rip some out.
                          I took out a lot of rings.

Later,
                          Cecelia

Comment

Cecil,

Where are you located in Kansas? (I am in Stilwell). This weekend is going to be nice weather to finish up your oven dome.

Comment

I've never heard of Stilwell - We're about 20 miles west of Topeka in St. Mary's - straight down highway 24.

Nope - no finishing up the dome - I ripped out all the way down to the last two rings above the soldier course.
                              It was going too crooked and wavy. And I was NOT happy with where the dome and arch were meeting...
                              SO, I ripped out and cleaned up all the bricks today. Luckily it's so breezy out because the @#$!! gnats are SO bad. I'm covered in them! And when the breeze dies down you can hear them hitting the plastic and they're like a magnet on you - they just cover you.
                              Gross.

Where is Stilwell?

Cecelia

Comment

Working...
                              X