Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.

Hi everyone,

I've just started building my oven and have decided to post a thread for those interested.

In Summary it will be a corner design 42 inch oven, with an outdoor kitchen design next to it.

Let me say thanks to all who have shared their advice and photos. I will post them as I get going. I have spent many weeks drawing and designing the backyard with my wife, and now am ready to build.

Hope you enjoy...

Michael.
    Whatever you do, do it with a glass of red.

Re: Michael's 42in Pompeii Oven, Sydney Australia.

Welcome and post some pictures as soon as you can. We always like to see how others build their ovens.
    I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking. --- Julia Child

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattluttropp

Comment

Michael,

Welcome I am sure that you will have fun along the way! Have far have you got with your build?

Paul
      Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
      (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

First thing was to remove a an outdoor garden bed. Total was 2 tonnes of soil, 1 tonne of bricks. Lucky for me I had a 15 year old to help me. (he belongs to my mate).

My formwork was old timber floor boards, so they don't look that great...however I figured they would do for something i'll never see again.

I reinforced it with 12mm rebar and wire mesh, more towards the bottom of the slab.

I kept it covered under plastic so it remained damp for 3-4 days.

Turned out to be flat, level and cured nicely. Next step is the besser blocks.
        Last edited by MikeyMann; 10-21-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Hey great start Michael. You and I will be going side by side as I have also just poured the slab for my outdoor kitchen, including footings for my oven.
          Good luck with it mate!
          Paul

Comment

Michael,

Congratulations on the start
            Let the fun begin!
            John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

should use formblocks....you can buy them from adbri masonry.

just look here Formblock? by Global Building Systems they are mortarless and ya just pour concrete into them. they have plastic bridges in them that hold the blocks togeather and also hold the steel in place. DONT be fooled by other blocks that are mortarless these move when you pour concrete into them.

I used them on my build & on other jobs I have done since them IE retaining walls etc. & they are the bomb. if your slab is as level as you say it is then you should be able to just lay them on the slab & use the plastic wedge that comes with the bridge to level it up b4 you start the next course.

Well worth it.

Good luck
              who are these children? & why are they calling me dad?

Comment

thanks for the tip mate... but unfortunately we are about 2 hours late for this... as I speak there is a crane truck delivering a full palette of blocks. Got them for a good price.. $2.84 per block. Many landscaping places charge $3.50 + for a block.

But anyways... this sunday I start the blocks and hearth slab. Ready for a longgggg day....

cheers...

M

Comment

OK, so after a crazy weekend of earth moving, bricklaying and deciding how to deal with the 30 minute DELUGE of rain (3 inches in 30 mins... !!!) I managed to get the following done:

Moved 3 tonnes of soil and bricks into the skip bin to make way in the yard.

I laid the foundation blocks, only to discover that my concrete slab wasn't as flat as I wanted. Notice in the picture how one block is obviously leaning.

Comment

My solution was to lay a bed of strong mortar (2:1 sand/cement). After spending much time with the spirit level, the first course was level and plumb.

Incidentally, I seem to have a visitor.

Comment

After the first row was level and plumb I continued dry stacking, but placing a 10mm gap between them. I did this because the besser blocks are 390mm, and I need the 400mm to get the required 1800mm total.

I used a weaker mortar (5:1) for this as it's only for spacing. You can see the colour is very sandy. Sand is cheaper than cement!

I eventually filled all the cavities. I would alternate 3:2:1 concrete followed by crushed brick/sand & cement.

In one of the pictures you can see me emptying the remainder of this 5:1 into the cavity of the blocks. A convenient way to dispose of unwanted cement mix. I mixed this with crushed brick.

I will post a photo tomorrow of the completed block stand.

Next step is the concrete hearth.

Comment

OK, so I worked all day tuesday to finish the block stand with a nice storage area for timber and added support for the hearth. I ended up filling every second block with concrete, and the others with bricks with the odd splash of concrete.

I finished the formwork using MDF and 4*2 pine. I coated it all in a splash of water.

I then started pouring the structural hearth with 100mm concrete mixed by shovel in a wheelbarrow. 3:2:1 (gravel:sand:cement)

Midway through I placed the reinforcement mesh and 12mm rebar.

My only fear is that mixing the concrete by hand was too slow and the hearth began to set before I was ready to screed. The result was too much gravel being right at the surface of the concrete. Some of it is chipping away.

My only saving grace is that I will perform a second pour around a central layer of insulation brick.

Can anyone foresee disaster with this?

cheers

M

Comment

I forgot to add... I think i'm clever by adding a power cable through conduit... I get a power point on the far left of the oven. Happy chappy!

Comment

Looking good!!
                            Paul

Comment

OK. Now I am excited. After over a week of doing nothing on the oven, my firebricks are coming tonight. Awesome.

I don't have a brick saw, and won't be hiring one... so I will assembling it with standard bricks bolstered in half. It will look fine on the inside, just a bit rough on the outside. Not to worry... Is this a problem you think?

I have an angle grinder with a masonry blade for some smaller cuts, which should suffice when I need to cut smaller shapes. Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X