Locating brick in Silverdale, Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating brick in Silverdale, Washington

Hello I am new to the forum, and the idea of wood ovens. I need to locate a brick supplier in the Silverdale, Washington state area. Mutual Material say they have fire brick, when asked if it was a ow duty fire brick the reply was weonly carry one type. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Gareth
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. In Wilderness is the preservation of the World. - Henry David Thoreau

I talked to the Mutual Material factory in Spokane. The guy in engineering that I spoke with told me their firebrick is rated to either 1800 or 1900 degrees F (I can't remember which). From the research that I did on-line that appears to coincide with the rating of "low duty" or "light duty" firebrick. Low or light duty is what James and Jim suggest using. You're not likely to exceed that temp in a wood fired oven from what I read. You can get extra high duty brick from EJ Bartells in the Seattle area. That's way too much for this type of project. Bartells were "stock-out" on low duty brick and didn't know when they would get any.
    Mike
    "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Fire brick

An ordinary masonry supply that has only one kind of firebrick will be the "low duty" or fireplace grade brick. In general, you would have to go to a specialty refractory materials dealer, that sells specialized brick for boilers and kilns to get anything else.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks to dmun and El Puaco for your help.
        We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. In Wilderness is the preservation of the World. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by dmun
          An ordinary masonry supply that has only one kind of firebrick will be the "low duty" or fireplace grade brick. In general, you would have to go to a specialty refractory materials dealer, that sells specialized brick for boilers and kilns to get anything else.
          And those high temp bricks will cost you 4 or 5 bucks a piece for new ones! I lucked out and got 250 of them for 20 bucks from a guy that didnt know what he had.
          Renaissance Man
          Wholly Man

Comment

Working...
          X