Igloo or enclosed, which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igloo or enclosed, which is better?

Igloo or enclosed, which is better? I was all set to enclose the oven when Catherine stated she liked the look of the igloo. I'm curious if the insulating properties of an enclosed oven is far better than an igloo insulation.

Mark

Re: Igloo or enclosed, which is better?

No difference. 4 inches of insulation around an igloo is the same as 4 inches around an enclosed dome. If you want to over-insulate, as some of us have done, it may be easier to do with an enclosure. But over-insulating an igloo just makes the igloo bigger. Bottom line is aesthetics. My wife said she likes the raised up doghouse look better than the igloo. In a particularly lucid moment, I went with the enclosure.
    Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

I would go with the overall aesthetics, as there will virtually be no difference in performance. I personally like the simple look of the igloo.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I think over any significant period, it's easier to keep water out of a house enclosure than an igloo. You can also build a taller and more effective chimney without it looking weird. Other than that, it's builder's choice.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Mark!

And welcome aboard...

There is no difference that I am aware of in any way but one. An enclosed oven can easily be made more waterproof than a dome. The dome will probably develop hairline cracks that require sealing and the ledge where the dome meets the base can serve as a means for water to get under the hearth. The walls of an enclosed oven solve the dome crack and ledge issue.

I built an igloo and plan to convert to an enclosure this spring. My "problems" with water are exacerbated by the fact we used sandstone as the finishing rock and it easily lets water from the ledge onto the support slab. IF you build an igloo I would suggest using a hard, relatively impermeable stone to finish the ledge and to seal it. I also think the ledge issue is less of a problem if you use the Primavera approach of using the insulation boards under the hearth, but mine is not done that way. So...

Hope that is useful!
          Jay

Comment

I built a 12' x 16' pavilion over the oven so weather is not a concern. Guest I need to research how to properly construct an insulated igloo. I have a eight lb ceramic blanket to cover the dome. Cover the blanket with aluminum foil. 4" vermicrete reinforced with chicken wire and thin rebar I'm guessing. Then a couple layers of stucco and paint.

Comment

Hi Mark!

The roof should the trick! )

With the roof I would tend to go igloo but you will (obviously but...still feel I should mention it) have the smokestack go above or through the roof.

Sounds like you are in great shape!
              Jay

Comment

Mark,
                all previous responses have buttoned the choice. It is really up to you. However, might I add, your oven is just the beginning mate, believe me.
                Once the oven is finished and you are thoroughly and justifiably enjoying it, you will the want/need to work on the outdoor entertaining area and ultimately (if you get the bug severe enough), a full outdoor kitchen.
                Whether down the track you envisage a large roofed area over your oven, well then a roofed enclosure will look a little out of place, one roof under another, so a dome might be more appropriate. If however you have your oven out in the open with no plans of building/developing a area around it, then go for an enclosed closure.
                Look further down the road than just the next couple of months. You can always place an enclosure over a dome, or vice-versa as the case may be.

Cheers.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Jay,

I realize I have to get the chimney through the roof and I'm going to see if I can accomplish that tomorrow.

Neill, stop giving my wife ideas!! I have enough to do! LOL

Mark

Comment

Good luck Mark!

Winter is coming. Time that will be difficult for you in Toledo and is my favorite time to do pizza!

Look forward to your first bake! (And I know you are too!)
                    Jay

Comment

Mark, I'm only trying to live up to my signature.
                      Plan properly and thoroughly and do it first time, and you don't then have to modify, correct or redo it.
                      You just need to learn how to lose the 'LIST OF JOBS TO DO' of don't show the wife the options.
                      No disrespect to your lovely lady, but I bet she has ideas that she hasn't mentioned to you yet.
                      Never underestimate the mind of a women, especially one with power over you.
                      I don't need to give her ideas, she already has them and only letting them out one by one as you get closer to achieving them.

Cheers,

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

I guess you didn't get that I was making a joke. (must of been a bad one) You know LOL (laugh out loud). I'm well aware of everything my wife and I want and we have incorporated that in the design for future plans and additions.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X