The Greco's WFO - Long Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greco's WFO - Long Island

Finished my inner arch today and started the 4th course. I cut an angle into the inner bricks of the arch to help in the draw of smoke. Not sure if it will help, but in my head I think it will, so that is what I did. I realize this will create some door issues later, but I will deal with that at some point in the future.

Some conclusions I have come to thus far.....

1. It really helps to keep things moist. Letting mortar dry quickly is a bad thing. (this really should be stressed more)
    2. It is difficult to get squared bricks to form a nice circle. (I am not tapering)
    3. I like my version of the "tool"
    4. This is even more fun than I thought it would be. (My wife thinks the stupid smurk that is constantly on my face when I am working on the oven is funny)
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

That "tool" looks awesome. How did you build/anchor it?

This is way off, and from much earlier in your posts, but I don't get the belt wrapped around the forms. I see this used frequently and I am skeptical. I was not a physics major, but it seems to me that a belt wrapped around the entire structure is the worst thing you can do to keep it square. It would seem that most of the pressure would be on the corners, trying to push the square into a circle. I know with all the engineers who have completed their ovens and not pointed this out that I must be missing something, but can someone explain how this would help, rather than encourage "bowing?"

Thanks. Your work looks great! I get to pour my hearth slab tomorrow.

Comment

Bruce,
        The belt/strap is to counteract the weight of the wet concrete pushing the forms out. You will get it once you mix 60-70 bags of concrete, there is a lot of force pushing out on the forms.
        Eric

Comment

That "tool" looks awesome. How did you build/anchor it?
          The tool was made using a magnetic door stop to anchor to the floor which is plywood. I then used epoxy to attach the other end of the magnetic door stop to a piece of wood about 1.5"x1.5"x4" which I had drilled into and placed a threaded steel rod. The other end is attached to a metal hanger used for decking and in between the two steel rods is a rod connector that allows for adjusting. I had to bend the metal decking hanger to get the right angle for my dome and I check it each course with a dome template I made. So far it seems to be working. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

These pics are from a few days ago. I am making the final push. Had issues opening the pool which killed two weekends of oven building.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Hello from Long Island. Nice work! I have been looking to start my build and have gathered tons of info here. Would you be so kind as to tell me where you obtained the refractory morter, the blanket and the heat board used under the fire brick. I am in Western Suffolk County and have stopped at a few places with no luck. The shipping costs from Forno Bravo are stopping me from ordering here. I am thinking a trip to NJ may be in order but I cant imagine that these items cannot be had here in NYC. I would appreciate any help you can offer.
              Last edited by Billz; 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The dome is done. It is not perfect, but not bad for only using an angle grinder (except for my one day wet saw rental to cut half brick). Vent and chimney to be done this week? Lets hope so, I plan on pizza for July 4th. Will I make it????

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Would you be so kind as to tell me where you obtained the refractory morter, the blanket and the heat board used under the fire brick.
                  I have been getting everything from Presti Masonary Supply in Freeport. They are great and have everything or will get it. I did not get my blanket yet but I know they have one in stock. It is expensive so I am still pricing around. I got the board for under the oven from Forno Bravo. It was a little expensive to ship but I felt like giving them the business for all the help in doing this project.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

"I got the board for under the oven from Forno Bravo. It was a little expensive to ship but I felt like giving them the business for all the help in doing this project."

I agree but I would rather just donate an amount to Forno Bravo than give it to UPS or USPS. Thanks for the info.

Comment

First pizza today. It really felt great. I have been slacking in posting anything in the last few weeks as I had been trying to get the vent and chimney done as well as curing so I could make pizza today. I am really happy about the way things went. The dome cleared in about an hour and I started making pizzas maybe 15 minutes after that. I think things could have been a little hotter, but I also think this oven has a lot of curing left to do. About the time I started making pizzas I noticed what looked like smoke or steam coming from the top of the dome through the insulation. At first I thought it was smoke but upon closer inspection I realized it was steam. It even had the faint smell of wet concrete or mortar. All in all first day was a success.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Nice lookin pie and oven...congrats

Peter
                        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Enjoyed reading your thread. Keep us posted as you do the finish work. Nice job... Can't wait to get mine to this stage so my boys can decorate pizza dough!

CB
                          CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Second day of pizza making and things went well. The oven was still hot from yesterday so it took about an hour for it to come up to full temp once I lit the fire. I did not see any steam coming through the insulation today. Made four pizzas and then roasted a chicken. I cooked the chicken in a cast iron pot with the lid off. I dont have a door yet so I just stacked some fire bricks in the door way and it seemed to work fine. The chicken was quartered and it was cooked in about 35 minutes. It was the best roast chicken I have ever tasted. The pizzas also came out great but there is always room for improvement. I need some practice managing the pizza in the oven.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Doesn't look like you need much practice. The pizzas look great! Nice job!
                              My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

I have not posted in a while as it was a busy summer of using the oven for cooking but not building. With the cold weather closing in I decided to make the push and finish the outside of the oven.

Here is the progress...

1. I made a switch and replaced my clay flue liner with a duratech chimney system.
                                2. I used a thin brick system called Brick It to cover the outside of my base with red clay brick.
                                3. I made a red brick arch in front with wide mortar joints. I hide a small brick inside the big joints because I was concerned about the size of the mortar joint but I liked the look. I hope that works, only time will tell.
                                3. I covered my dome with lathe and did the first coat of stucco.

I plan on one or two more coats of stucco in the next few days.....

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Working...
                                X