Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi All,

I?m finally making a start on my WFO project, after much procrastination as to where, when and how I think we?ve decided on a plan of attack. Many thanks to the numbers of generous people who have posted their personal thoughts and ideas, it has assisted in making the design process that much easier. Granted the hard work is yet to come, but from what I?ve read thus far some rewarding moments as well.
    Like others, I?ll post the details of my progress, hope you enjoy. Feedback and comments welcome.

Russ

Russ

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.

Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Cabsauv

Granted the hard work is yet to come
    Wrong! it is a pleasurable experience and should take a round a month working just on weekends to get it completed.
    Cooking in it is great and then there is the facilities to support your Pompeii. An outdoor kitchen is the least that you will get, not hard work, rather time consuming and expensive.
    Remember to post your progress pics.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Folks,

Well it?s been a while since my last post but much has happened. Again thank you to the many posts on the FB forum, there?ve been lots of helpful tips, hints and pit falls to be avoided.

After much procrastination as to the placement and design of my outdoor cooking area we finally settled on a location. (We = She who must be obeyed and Finance/Administration Director)

With my annual Xmas holidays approaching I had a goal to have my ground slab completed prior to returning to work on 11 January 2010.

This seemed simple enough until you consider the bigger picture. With the positioning agreed upon, we decided to factor into the plan the need for potential shade over the area. This meant the placement of at least one 100x100x3.0mm (4?x4?x1/8?) post behind what will be the bench and BBQ area attach to WFO stand. I had also decided to run power to the area as well, thanks to an idea I picked up from MikeyMann.

So it was down to business. I?ve finally completed the ground slab with a couple of days left to spend relaxing and making plans for the next stage of building the walls and heath.

My progress can be viewed at the following address: Picasa Web Albums - cabsauv - My WFO

Russ

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.

Comment

Hi Russ,
        this hot spell will slow you down a bit, the others are freezing their butts off and we've got 39˚ tomorrow, 41K Sat, Sun and Mon and high again Tuesday, but then again you will bee back at work.
        Keep up the good work.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Russ,

How's the build going? It's been a while since you last posted. I hope that this means that you are out in the back yard building and not in front of the PC?

Paul
          Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
          (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hi Paul,

The building progress was a little stop-start over the Xmas and early in the new year, due to a couple of events namely my son's 18th. Now back into full swing having just completed the Hebel block work for the over stand and bbq area, my picture are here (Picasa Web Albums - cabsauv - My WFO)

I hope to start work this weekend on the formwork for the oven slab, I'm using the same metal decking that is used within the commercial sector as lost formwork, manufactured by our subsidiary companies.

I'll continue to keep you all upto date.

Russ

Russ

Comment

Hi All,
              I hope that you all had a blessed Easter. I'm making progress, I didn?t get as much completed as I would have hoped over the Easter break. But never the less, I?m ready to pour my heath slab. I thought the WFO community might be interested in the materials I used as my formwork.

My background was in manufacturing within the building industry (now in IT) but I called up on my contacts and used Fielders KingFlor RF55? with a fold galvanised edging (1.0mm) this will hold and support the concrete.

All things going well I?ll pour the slab next week. This will be a manual task of either bucket it from the wheelbarrow or trying to get the mixer high enough to pour straight from the mixer.

Russ

Russ

Comment

Very Nice Russ!!

You have got off to the perfect start. Your sheeting reminds me of the old clip lock sheeting only more high-tech.

Keep those pics coming!!
                John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Hi Folks,

With a wet South Aussie winter behind us and spring just starting to make an appearance it's time to shift into high gear.

It's been awhile since my last post, so hear where I'm at.....

I finished the oven slab in April. This proved to be a bit of a challenge as I needed to work with the concrete mixer in the back of the trailer and then shovel the mix up into the slab tray from the wheelbarrow. This process turned out to be easier than first thought considering my helping hand had better things to do. (Note to self: Teenage son sometimes can't be relied upon). Since then I've just been waiting for the rain to stop.

After much searching and no luck in trying to purchase a second hand brick saw, I finally decided to purchase a new one. I picked up an AR Brick Saw for $800.00 AUD, with a bit of luck I can re-sell and re-coop some costs. Or better still hire it out at $150.00 AUD per day.

A teenage son does come in handy, as an apprentice carpenter/cabinet maker he was able to cut the template for the floor as a project on the CNC machine, plot the dimension and out comes a perfectly cut and accurate template. 15mm ply at no cost can't beat that.

I purchased my first installment of insulation board, mortar, fire bricks, and 300x300x50 floor tiles.

Today (19/09/2011) I put my brick saw through its paces, and cut all the floor tiles to shape. It finally feels like I'm getting somewhere, its great to see my WFO taking shape albeit layed out on the garage floor. I just need to do some final cutting of the tiles around the position of the inner arch. I'll have to use an angle grinder with a stone wheel for this job. Then I'm ready to put them into position on the slab and start to mortar in the solders.

More details and info to follow in the coming weeks.

Russ

Comment

Can anyone assist me with a dilemma?
                    What height did folks make their solder course? I planned on using a full brick on it end with 15 degrees cut off the top, thus leaving the back of the brick 180mm high. This will allow for the first chain to be set on a mortar bed. (See attached)
                    This seems to be the most common approach, does anyone have the best advice on what worked for them?

Russ

Comment

This is exactly what I did and it worked just fine.
                      Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                      (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

If you must use a soldier course (and I don't see any reason to do so at all) I really recommend steering clear of the full brick design. It creates such weakness at that upper corner that a lot of such ovens need buttressing to succeed. A half brick soldier course allows your angle cut to be used twice, and saves a lot of little brick shards.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Russ,
                          Mine was a 16 deg cut on the soldier. And I had a 42" as well. However, it does appear that every year or so, something "new" comes along that really makes sense. Dmuns suggestion is valid. The tall(ish) soldier does become the weakest point. It is nice to get a start on the height and you DO want the first few inches of the dome to be mostly vertical (so you can get pots and pans in there without hitting the curve at the edges-a non issue at 42") but you can achieve it with 2 regular "row" bricks as well.

If you've already cut them as official soldiers, don't worry, they're fine.

Cheers, Dino
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Guys,
                            Thank you for your input; it?s good to know that I?m on the right track.

Well you gotta love a long weekend, with perfect spring weather and 3 days to work on my WFO. I?m absolutely ecstatic; completed everything that I set out to do. The work went better than I imagined, all the preparation of marking out, making templates and dry runs made it easier, is a must to ensure that all fits as it should. It?s very rewarding to see the project taking shape.

So at the end of the weekend; I?ve completed the inter arch and the soldier course are mortared into place. I went with a 15.5 degree cut off the top of the soldier, leaving the back 180 mm high. The first test will be when I remove the arch form and see if it all stays in place.

Unfortunately the next couple of weekends are busy with some other commitments, but in a couple of weeks I have 5 days annual leave; I can?t wait, a week to dedicate to the oven. In the mean time I?ll purchase the rest of my bricks, insulation blanket and Coolcast render for the final layer of insulation.

A big thank you to all on the forum who have submitted their individual thoughts and ideas, it?s a great source of what works well and what to avoid.

More details to follow in the coming weeks.
                            Russ

Russ

Comment

Just a couple more shots.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X